• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset cooling...important?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok, I'll do it this way, my chipset cooler died a while back on my KD-7. it runs at about 51 degrees which I feel is a bit toasty. I was wondering if it is important to get a new fan for this thing. I have had no luck what soever with overclocking this computer. I have a 2200+ and I've tried everything I could possibly think of in regards to overclocking. Could it be that my Chipset is too hot and hindering my ability to overclock? any ideas?

I am a bit of a Newb, but i think that the northbridge chipset it what controls the FSB, memory etc. Correct me if im wrong..

So yes, this might very well affect the ability to overclock, what acctually happens etc. It would help if you told me the chipset also.

Thanks

Spike

thank you all, as you have caused me more concern as I have had thus far, I will get a new cooler asap, btw the chipset is a Via KT400, all I know is its the only chipset on the motherboard that has a fan attached to it and its quite warm. Will this work????
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-110-106&depa=1

seems to be for VGA... But I don't know if it would work on NB

if not,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-110-103&depa=1
I think that one looks alright.

Last edited:
link to the bottom vga cooler you listed is what i have on my northbridge. it works ok. its a better nbridge cooler then it is a vga cooler. to small for vga.

the cooler in the first link i don't think will fit with the mounting holes on your mobo. plus i've heard that they kinda suck.

definately get SOMETHING on there even if its passive.

ok, ty, I still got the same one on there, it just doesnt spin so its passive, I just think it should be cooler than it currently is just to be safe

If there is a fan mounted to the NB sink that doesn't spin, take it off. It will help general case airflow through the sink that is already on there...

-Frank

Back