• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the "chipset"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bookworm

Searched around a bit, but it seems like a less talked about topic. Anyways, I removed the chipset heatsink and cleaned off the thermal paste because I am fitting it with a copper heatsink and a 40mm fan. It's bare silicon under there, btw for any of y'all who haven't looked at the actual chip. Would I benefit at all by using liquid metal on this chip (granted I use liquid electrical tape on all the smds to prevent the galium from destroying the mobo)? OR should I just use a good thermal paste or maybe even a pad? I have read several posts where people have reported their chips running excessively hot. z790Chip.jpg ChipCooler.jpg Build2023.jpg

Hey there!

There's no reason to touch it, honestly. No benefits from using anything better than stock TIM and heatsink. An aftermarket heatsink with a 40mm fan on it is good for additional noise and the economy, but thats about it. :)

The only reason I'd replace a chipset heatsink is if it was puspin connected.... but unless I KNOW it's running hot and having problems, I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited:
Back