• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

after 5-6 formats , XP can not be activated ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wired14

well, it had been almost one year since the last time i did a format . I decided the other day to do a completely format because i had so much junk on the drive and after the re-installation i was asked as always to activate windows over the net. I clicked on yes and i got a responce saying i have exceeded the time of activations or something like that and give M$ a call . So what the he**?
Lets say i do call them ; what do i tell them? WIll they give me a new serial number?

The good part is that the WinXP box is not my primary computer:)

Call them, it does not hurt. It might take 5 or 10 min of your time but you do not get bitten by the person at MS :)

wired14 said:
well, it had been almost one year since the last time i did a format . I decided the other day to do a completely format because i had so much junk on the drive and after the re-installation i was asked as always to activate windows over the net. I clicked on yes and i got a responce saying i have exceeded the time of activations or something like that and give M$ a call . So what the he**?
Lets say i do call them ; what do i tell them? WIll they give me a new serial number?

The good part is that the WinXP box is not my primary computer:)

I call them all the time to reactivate. Just tell them you reformatted and they will give you a new activation number.

Actually, you can only get a new number 8 times. Believe me, I know. Just give em a call, you'll get some guy in India, and you give them your original number, they give you a new one, and its all good.

and its not always some guy in india. the guy i got seemed american

Dubbin1 said:

Not true at all. I have called them a whole lot more then 8 times.

I have to agree with Dubbin1. I think I have called them at least 20 times. There have been instances when I would format, install and did not need to contact them by phone. It activated automatically. Seemed to happen more often in this fashion when I would use an IDE drive. When I would use a SCSI drive, I would need a new activation ID.

Home version on one, Pro on another.

Just my 2 cents.............

Why do you people put up with this ****?

There really isn't much difference between 2k and XP, and 2k has no activation issues.

MRD said:
Why do you people put up with this ****?

There really isn't much difference between 2k and XP, and 2k has no activation issues.

MRD, I'm sure they all have their own reasons, true there may not be many differences on the surface, but there may just be little things they like about XP and they don't mind calling MSFT once, twice, three or twenty times for these little things.

Personally, I just prefer XP, no real reasons, its just what I'm used to using more than anything. I've taken some classes on 2K Pro and 2K Server, have used 3.1/95/98/ME/2k/XP and 03, but I'm just comfortable with XP.

i_am_tux said:

MRD, I'm sure they all have their own reasons, true there may not be many differences on the surface, but there may just be little things they like about XP and they don't mind calling MSFT once, twice, three or twenty times for these little things.

About the Activation thing, they only let me call them 8 times to get a new code. But if you do a low level format you have to get a new code, it wont do it for you. When you just wipe it and reinstall, it will leave a tiny piece of code on your HD and let you reinstall without getting a new activation code.
And personaly, I would have gone with 2K on my machine, but when I built it my parents paid for it (it's the "family" machine) and he wanted XP, so since I didn't have to fork over any money, I didn't really care what OS he wanted.

I think the only major diff between xp and 2k is hyperthreading support ? Plus no 64-bit versions of 2k. Lots of 64 bit Linux flavors though~!

Notepad was upgraded to now include an optional status bar which tracks the cursor's position.

XP includes Windows Movie Maker and System Restore, previously included only in Windows ME.

Windows XP comes with a new version of Media Player... featuring DVD playback.

Windows XP includes integrated CD ripping, cataloging, and burning with easy to use wizards. XP-Plus even makes it easy to print out labels and jackets.

My Pictures is enhanced with easy to use imports, manipulation slide shows, and printing from within the Explorer.

Windows XP includes a Personal Firewall, a basic program to keep out hackers.

Windows XP integrates Windows Messenger into the shell, making it easy to chat, share files, video-conference, remote desktop assist, and talk with others. This program integrates the features of Microsoft Messenger and Netmeeting into a cleaner, simpler application.

i hope you aren't talking about hacked software cause that isn't allowed here.

and yea everytime i call to activate its an american... but then again i live in the US

and my xp stopped being able to be activated after about 3 activations :(

Back