• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Raptor SMART command failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amourek

Installed a 36GB Raptor as my Boot drive. It installed fine, and everything seems to working perfectly, but since I plugged it in and everytime the system boots up I get the following:

4th Master: WDC WD360GD-75GHA0 35.06K35
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Command Failed

Then it prompts me:
Press F1 to Resume

Is the drive on the way out?

Get the WD Data Lifeguard tool here:

http://support.wdc.com/download

and run the diagnostics. The drive may not have any issues as it looks like it may simply be a problem with SMART initialization on the drive. The best way to check is to use the diagnostics.

Thanks, but I tried that tool, no errors.

I figured it out... apparantly I always that get error unless I have a drive configured to primary master. Even if I boot off the Raptor.

That's unusual. It sounds like it may be a BIOS issue. Since it's fixed with that configuration, it's probably not an issue, but you may want to look at the BIOS update's readmes and see if the issue is addressed. If not, it may be worth reporting to the manufacturer to save others trouble. This may have been a risk assumed test case in their planning and they may not know of the error.

Back