• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DunnoeWhattaDoo

Registered
I plan on building a computer this summer (using a thermaltake xaser III case)but this winter i'm going to be going over seas for a few months. My question is if anyone knows if it is safe to take it with me via airplane. or even if it is allowed( the way security is going these days you never know...). Can i insure the rig to make sure they don't break it? how should I pack it so it doesn't get messed up? Should I dissassemble it just to be safe?

If anyone can awnser any of these questions it would be pretty helpful, thanks!

well .. security might make you open the case and the package u did it on. unless you send it via fedex or mail which wud cost A LOT. just make sure you put styrofoam around the case and plastic around the case to prevent scratches n all. make sure its ez to unpack if they wanted to open it and check

Well i didn't plan on carrying it on the plane with me i'd likley check it into cargo. but i don't know if they would let me insure incase they mess it up. now that i think about it i might carry it on with me...

Just make sure you have everything secure and if the HS is a big one it's bolted on (uses the motherboard holes) or just removed (if you remove it make sure you do somthing so that you don't forget to put it back on. For instance make it so you have to open up the case to plug somthing - like the power switch - in to turn it on). It should be fine, computers really can take a lot.

Just pack it well and put 'fragile' and stuff on the box.
I would try to ship it rather than take in on the plane.Then you can get insurance if you want.

Personally I would probably do something like put it in a duffle bag with a bunch of bubble wrap or soemthing and just put it in one of the overhead compartments, it would be easy for them to check and close to you. I would do something like that because have you seen the airport employees handle luggage? I personally wouldn't want my computer being tossed 5 feet through the air to land on pile of luggage.

That case is absolutely massive. There is no way they're going to let you take that as carry on. If you want to put it in your suitcase, that'll work, but you'll have tons of issues with metal detectors and stuff. The case is the biggest/bulkiest part of it so I'm wondering why even take it. You could pack the rest of the parts in a rather compact fashion and take them as carry on. Your biggest issue though is going to be that honkin big case.

Back