• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing a raptor with a regular IDE drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

How do i go about using a raptor as the primary hd and have my old wd800jb ide HD run on the same computer? I want to get a new raptor but I am scared i wont b able to use my old hd or encounter problems later on. Thanks in advance for the advices.

Edit-I have an IC7-G

Last edited:
It's not a problem. You can run SATA, IDE and or SCSI mixed, just make sure that you set the boot device properly. Also, when installing, only have the target drive in the system. This will prevent windows from installing the boot files on a different drive than the operating system drive.

so i can have my IDE harddrive connected to the regular IDE Channel 1 and have my SATA drive connected to the SATA 1 at the same time? How would i set the master and slave between the two drives?

It's not a problem. You can run SATA, IDE and or SCSI mixed, just make sure that you set the boot device properly. Also, when installing, only have the target drive in the system. This will prevent windows from installing the boot files on a different drive than the operating system drive.

Pretty much as Xaotic said. In your bios, you should be able to set the bootup priority. When installing windows XP, only have your raptor connected. The setup procedure will ask you for drivers (look for it at the bottom, it will say press f6), and you will have to provide a disk that has your motherboard's (or controller card's) SATA drivers on it for XP. Then go about installing, and when it is complete, turn off your computer and connect your ide drive. You might have to go back to bios and make sure that the raptor is still set to boot, otherwise you wont be able to boot your computer, if that other drive isnt bootable.

About the master/slave settings, just set up your hard drives as you would normally jumper-wise, but make sure you set the boot order in the bios... very important. Hope this helps.

- Awperator

The Raptor will not need any settings for master/slave, as there is only a single device on an SATA cable.

I have a Raptor alone with 2 IDE drives , and when i have only the Raptor plugged in then i can boot from the Raptor , but when i plug in the IDE harddrives then i can only select booting from one of the IDE HD. the MB im using is the Abit P4P800-SE

Back