• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel processor 'caps'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronaldj23

Registered
Can anyone tell me what the term 'caps' refers to when describing an Intel Prescott or Northwood CPU? I have seen references to 12 or 30 cap processors and don't know what the numbers are referencing. Thanks for your help...ronaldj23

they're little capacitors underneath the cpu (in the square area inbetween the pins) that help keep the voltage stable if memory serves me right. not always, but sometimes more caps gives a better overclock (at least thats what people believe).

oh yeah....

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Thanks to both of you guys for your replys. I am going to wait for the next 'stepping' of the Prescotts and give one a try. Any opinions?

if you must have a prescott, then yes, wait for the new steppings....but personally, northwoods are better.....they dont run nearly as hot and for now, they overclock better and are faster (they have something like a 20 stage pipeline whereas the prescott has a 31 stage pipeline). if you really want prescott, the best option to do would be wait until it comes out on socket 775....this is the socket it was meant to be on....they put it on 478 to buy some time to fix prescott's problems imo...socket 775 chips and boards will be so much better than current prescott setups, imo!

Dude, you are the knowledgemaster of the universe. Thanks. I currently have a 2.4C oc'ed to 3.04 and I think I just want a new toy...know what I mean?

ronaldj23 said:
Dude, you are the knowledgemaster of the universe. Thanks. I currently have a 2.4C oc'ed to 3.04 and I think I just want a new toy...know what I mean?

boy do i ever! i almost sold my BH-5 babies so i could get some PC4000+ to mess around with....im glad i didnt....i just dont want to wait to get my board modded out...i also want a 3.0 "WU" to mess around with (and hopefully get near 4GHZ)....and i want a second 74gb raptor to create a raid array, i want a dvd burner (preferably dual layer) and some extra storage hard drives...and the list goes on....this is an expensive hobby...almost as bad as smoking, lol! i need a job...lmao

P.S. you should register on the forums, so i can send ya a PM!

Make that 'supreme knowledgemaster of the universe'. Man-o-man I thought I was bad! Well, I have a couple of kids (my daughter just graduated from Univ. of Rhode Island) and I have a 14 year old son so, I am o.l.d. and have a lot of financial responsibilities so, I feel guilty when I buy a lot of new stuff. But I really do love this stuff -- just not enough time to research everything. Plus, a few months after dropping a wad on something 'cutting edge', and it's worthless. But then there's the lure of getting something for nothing -- cheating the big dogs and 'stealing' bandwidth or clock cycles...yup, it's a thing of beauty.

theres some thread about it in the memory section. check out www.komusa.com they're pc4000 and pc4200 is the stuff you want, and if you order it, be sure to check ADATA Brand in the drop down box. this is the stuff..or theres a 512 kit too

this is why i say you should register, so we can talk over PM...

Last edited:
Back