• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 11 EOL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash1

I'm helping my brother in law find a PC on a tight budget.

Intel is not saying much that I've seen on "certified" processors for Win 12 and it looks like Win 11 is out in 4th Q 24.

Any ideas on Processors? What Gen's will not be certified?

My last build in 2012 with an I7 made it to Windows 10.....

I don't want him to get this PC and have to upgrade in 2 years......

Thanks for any thoughts!

Microsoft has said they will stop providing support for Windows 10 in October 2025. Millions of people will continue to run Windows 10 after that date. For them there will no difference after 2025 expect a lot fewer updates from Microsoft.

Windows 11 was released in October 2021. Based upon support for Windows 10, Windows 11 should be supported to about 2030. To have a computer last that long you need to go with fairly recent hardware that fully supports Windows 11. In other words stick with hardware that came out after Windows 11 was released.

Discussing Windows 12 is sort of a waste of time because there is no official information from Microsoft. People can speculate all they want but I wouldn't go by anything anybody says now.

Computer 1: Built in 2009 & runs Windows 10 fine. However, it shows it age and is not the fastest running Windows 10. It will never be upgraded to Windows 11.

Computer 2: Built in 2013 & runs Windows 10 fine. However, it shows it age and is not the fastest running Windows 10. However, replacing the boot hard drive with an SSD at least made this computer now work great with Windows 10. It will never be upgraded to Windows 11.

Computer 3: Built in 2017 that runs Windows 10 great. As built it would never be upgraded to Windows 11. However, I upgraded the CPU, RAM, and GPU so it should run Windows 11 great now. I will upgrade that computer to Windows 11 in the near future.

This all says that whatever version of Windows you run it will always run better on hardware that came out on or after that version of Windows came out.

Windows 11 was released in October 2021. Based upon support for Windows 10, Windows 11 should be supported to about 2030. To have a computer last that long you need to go with fairly recent hardware that fully supports Windows 11
This.

In other words stick with hardware that came out after Windows 11 was released.
... thats a good rule of thumb, however plenty of processors that came out before W11 support W11 as well. If we're looking to make it to ateast 2030, any will do.

If you want it to support W12, you're going to have to get something newer.

What will your bro need this PC for? What is the total budget and what parts are needed?

it looks like Win 11 is out in 4th Q 24.
The specific Windows 11 22H2 version is going unsupported in October 2024, which is what I guess you saw. At least, that is for personal users. Enterprise gets another year to 2025. But that is just a specific version of Windows 11, not Windows 11 in general. In some poking around I'm seeing rumours there may not be another major update to Win11 but move to Win12. It'll be interesting to see if we get a Windows 12 sooner.
Win XP > Vista: 6 years
Vista > 7: 2+ years
Win 7 > 8: 3 years
Win 8 > 10: 3 years
Win 10 > 11: 6 years

If Win12 comes out in 2024, that would be a 3 year stint Win11 has as the current version of OS. I thought 8 was shorter than that, but it may be because most stuck with 7 until moving to 10. We're kinda seeing similar with Win11, with most sticking with Win10 as long as they can.

Back to OP's question on CPU support, the main change with Win11 requirements is MS wanted a lot more mandatory features. I'll put aside the argument if they're needed at all, let's just take it as given you'll be wanting it going forwards regardless. Is there any other tech that MS might try to make mandatory that isn't already common? I'm not sure about that. I feel there is little risk of a system that can run Win11 wont be able to run Win12. Beyond that, who knows.

This.

... thats a good rule of thumb, however plenty of processors that came out before W11 support W11 as well. If we're looking to make it to ateast 2030, any will do.

What will your bro need this PC for? What is the total budget and what parts are needed?
It depends what kind of experience you want. The computers I bought or built before Windows 10 came out seem sluggish now with Windows 10. The ones I bought or built after Windows 10 came out work quite well with Windows 10.

I mean, that depends... if you're a couple of generations, typically that experience is similar. Windows doesn't take much...there are optimizations for modern processors that work better on the latest OS's, but, I wouldn't say it's worth a mention how windows performsn on 2/3 gen old CPUs from when the processor was rlleased.

That said, faster processors = faster experience period, so.....there's that.

Last edited:
Microsoft has said they will stop providing support for Windows 10 in October 2025. Millions of people will continue to run Windows 10 after that date. For them there will no difference after 2025 expect a lot fewer updates from Microsoft.

Windows 11 was released in October 2021. Based upon support for Windows 10, Windows 11 should be supported to about 2030. To have a computer last that long you need to go with fairly recent hardware that fully supports Windows 11. In other words stick with hardware that came out after Windows 11 was released.

Discussing Windows 12 is sort of a waste of time because there is no official information from Microsoft. People can speculate all they want but I wouldn't go by anything anybody says now.

Computer 1: Built in 2009 & runs Windows 10 fine. However, it shows it age and is not the fastest running Windows 10. It will never be upgraded to Windows 11.

Computer 2: Built in 2013 & runs Windows 10 fine. However, it shows it age and is not the fastest running Windows 10. However, replacing the boot hard drive with an SSD at least made this computer now work great with Windows 10. It will never be upgraded to Windows 11.

Computer 3: Built in 2017 that runs Windows 10 great. As built it would never be upgraded to Windows 11. However, I upgraded the CPU, RAM, and GPU so it should run Windows 11 great now. I will upgrade that computer to Windows 11 in the near future.

This all says that whatever version of Windows you run it will always run better on hardware that came out on or after that version of Windows came out.
Thanks! All great points and a little something to go by.
This.

It's for his music. He doesn't need a shredder, I just want to get him something that is pretty fast and reliable and he can have for at least 6-8 years.....

I think I will stick with a processor in the I5 at at least a gen 11 (my PC built in 2012 has a second gen I7 (@4GHZ OC) running windows 10 almost as fast as my new PC but ports are wearing out. She's my backup now and she's done well for 10 years. I'm overthinking this and I'm just trying to help him the best I can with as little cost and best longevity!

That's why I love this site.....there's always someone that's been there done that and I appreciate he help!
Post magically merged:

The specific Windows 11 22H2 version is going unsupported in October 2024, which is what I guess you saw. At least, that is for personal users. Enterprise gets another year to 2025. But that is just a specific version of Windows 11, not Windows 11 in general. In some poking around I'm seeing rumours there may not be another major update to Win11 but move to Win12. It'll be interesting to see if we get a Windows 12 sooner.
Win XP > Vista: 6 years
Vista > 7: 2+ years
Win 7 > 8: 3 years
Win 8 > 10: 3 years
Win 10 > 11: 6 years

If Win12 comes out in 2024, that would be a 3 year stint Win11 has as the current version of OS. I thought 8 was shorter than that, but it may be because most stuck with 7 until moving to 10. We're kinda seeing similar with Win11, with most sticking with Win10 as long as they can.

Back to OP's question on CPU support, the main change with Win11 requirements is MS wanted a lot more mandatory features. I'll put aside the argument if they're needed at all, let's just take it as given you'll be wanting it going forwards regardless. Is there any other tech that MS might try to make mandatory that isn't already common? I'm not sure about that. I feel there is little risk of a system that can run Win11 wont be able to run Win12. Beyond that, who knows.
Yes that's what I saw and freaked thinking that the PC he would get would only last for a little over a year before he would need to upgrade to 12 to keep getting updates.

Last edited:
i wouldnt be surprised if they pushed the EOL for 10 back considering how well it saturated the market, like XP.
although its not something to be counted on since theres a different crew running the show now.

i wouldnt be surprised if they pushed the EOL for 10 back considering how well it saturated the market, like XP.
although its not something to be counted on since theres a different crew running the show now.
Thanks.....yea....Been there!

Had another look at the support start and end dates for Windows versions from XP onwards. Last time I looked at the time between Windows major version releases. Now I looked at the time between release and official end of support. XP was 12 years, but Vista through Win10 are all just over 10 years.

One thing I did notice in doing this. On Microsoft's lifecycle pages, they list the major version support dates separately from the specific release support dates. Win11 22H2 is ending Oct 2024, but there is no date for Win11 in general. There is one given for Win10 as we've known for a long time. So officially, MS haven't said when Win11 will EOL. Even if Win12 releases, it seems unlikely for Win11 to EOL at that time. I wouldn't rule out the possibility MS are changing up their major version numbers so we don't sit at each one for so long, and as a consequence they reduce the length of each major version. In other words, come 2024 there might be a Win12 24H2, which is no different that what would have been Win11 24H2 if they continued to use Win11 for new releases.

YES, I agree! That sounds like what I read.....Win11 no support after at lease the end of 2024, and that's what worried me. Then one article suggested to be ready for Win12 you may need a Gen 14 processor.......If I'm reading this correctly (hopefully not!) then the PC would need to be upgraded in 2025 so Win12 could be installed/upgraded to continue to get updates. Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it that's why I put the question out there so someone could confirm or correct me!

I''ve never seen a computer built for one OS then NOT be able to upgrade to the next....My last PC went from Win7 to Win10.....

Thanks for the reply!

Official monthly security Updates for Windows 8.1 only ended a couple of months ago.
You could have used Windows 8.1 until 2023 and have it officially updated just as Windows 10/11 were.

Official monthly security Updates for Windows 10 will end in October of 2025.
There is no official date yet for Windows 11, but monthly security Updates for Windows 11 should go until 2031.

I don't know why people look at the words 'end of support' as if we're calling Microsoft to support Windows issues!? How many of us are doing that!?
Most of us just download monthly updates, so for most of us:

Monthly Security Updates are all that matter.

Windows 8.1 until Jan 10, 2023
Windows 10 until Oct 14, 2025

Windows 11 unknown yet, probably until 2031.

I don't know why people look at the words 'end of support' as if we're calling Microsoft to support Windows issues!? How many of us are doing that!?
"Support" is the word used by Microsoft themselves for the availability of those monthly updates. When it goes unsupported, those updates stop. Phoning them up is only one of many support options.

Microsoft used the words 'End of Mainstream Support in 2009' to trick people to unnecessarily abandon Windows XP in 2009, which continued to receive updates until 2014 [and beyond].

In 2017 they used those same words 'End of Mainstream Support' to trick people to unnecessarily abandon Windows 8.1, which only recently stopped receiving updates in 2023.

It is true that Mainstream Support ended. But virtually none of us use Mainstream Support, we just update monthly.

Last edited:
Official monthly security Updates for Windows 8.1 only ended a couple of months ago.
You could have used Windows 8.1 until 2023 and have it officially updated just as Windows 10/11 were.

Official monthly security Updates for Windows 10 will end in October of 2025.
There is no official date yet for Windows 11, but monthly security Updates for Windows 11 should go until 2031.

Most of us just download monthly updates, so for most of us:

Monthly Security Updates are all that matter.

Windows 8.1 until Jan 10, 2023
Windows 10 until Oct 14, 2025

Windows 11 unknown yet, probably until 2031.
Does Microsoft change these dates or maybe I have just seen speculation because I could have sworn Win10 had ended support (security upgrades).

Thanks for the info!

There is no speculation, what you saw are words that are specifically designed to trick you into thinking the monthly updates will stop earlier.

They will not.
Until:

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows XP.png

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows 8.png

Win10EndDate.png

End of Support.png

Back