• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So exactly how long lived is Socket A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

im just curious here...i see people saying socket A is quite old....i built my first AMD machine last november, and its a dual socket A, and im just curious how old socket A really is.

Thanx guys.

From the good old T-bird days :rolleyes:

(calling them good old..i used to be an intel fanboy then :eek: )

I think the cpu on slot A (big cardridges) was already socket A shape...just mounted different

I had a Duron 600MHz that OC'd to 1GHz and was Socket A. Socket A came about around 2000. That's following Slot A of course. I'm not sure how similar they are. The slowest I think I was 550MHz maybe 500? but definately no slower than that. So socket A is probably around 3 1/2 to 4 years old.

Slot-A became available, it seems, in late '99. Socket A was introduced in about mid 2000. So it's about four years old now.
I remember socket A CPUs (Durons) as low as 600 MHz, but I don't think there were any slower than that. It's definitely one of the more long-lived sockets in recent memory.

Too bad we'll probably never see AMD and Intel share a platform again, as was the case with Socket 7. That would be truly fantastic. But the two design their CPUs so differently now that this would be nearly impossible. What I wouldn't give to be able to put my XP2500+ into my MSI i865 board. :D

ya i rember my first pc back in the day with the VIA 133 chipset and a good old 1.4 gig thunder chicken! lol the socket A has lasted a good while and proved to be a great platform! i'm hoping the Athlon 64 will meet the same fate!

I remember the Socket A Tbirds when they came out...quite fast chips, that's for sure.

Socket A is set to be perhaps the most long-lasting socket for PC platforms...right now, it's surpassed Socket 7 in market age and new chipsets are still being made for it (nForce2 Ultra Gb)

yes and as the socket A also had its counterpart- the slot A. id say as the socket 939 shows its head, hopefully as expected, it will take a stand as the 754's start to fase out?

But Slot A was moved away much more firlmy after Socket A had appeared, they didnt exist next to each other very long, and they used almost the same voltage / boards / ram etc. (some ddr exceptions)

the link that sophisticated gave is some useful information for a speech about AMD...just too little about sockets and slots IMO :rolleyes:

Why cant they just design a socket with 2000 pins that will be enough for anything to come, and theyll just use the pins they will need. Getting sick of having to buy a new mobo ram and cpu everytime. Back to the good old socket 7 times, when you could fit any cpu in at any time :beer:

Back