• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good QUIET ~400 watt PS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nipster

Pentium III 1.0 ghz collector
I am tired of LOUD

I have currently an OLD sparkle 400 watt PS that has served me WELL over the years, but in a JIHAD to make my PC quieter, I have determined that it has to go, this is the only thing holding me back...

I have found plenty of articles about what are good PS's but I need to factor in LOUDNESS factor, as no one seems to have this info

also, it seems the forum's search seems broke for now

any ideas??

Also, I have currently 3 hdd, 3 cd drives and floppy so I need connectors for at least those items

From what I understand PFC increases the efficiency of the PSU. It uses less power from the wall to make the same xxxwatts of power for the computer.

Zalman usually makes pretty quite stuff and they have a modle or more that is Fortron based too.(I think it's the 400w one, and I think it uses the 350w Fortron, but I would have to check to be sure, and I can do that ATM.)

Or you could get whatever PSU you want and put a quite fan on it. If you decided to do that I would get a Fortron, probably 530w (which they say is loud).

400watt Fortron

The 400watt Fortron with the adjustable 120m/m fan is a great choice...You can adjust the fan to where it is virtually silent...The Antec TruePowers are also very quiet.

Last edited:
I think the best you can do is the Seasonic Super Silencer 400W. Here's a review at SPCR. You can buy it at Excaliberpc.
Or, if you case is cool and well ventilated, you could put a panaflo L1A in your Sparkle. I did that in my Fortron and its super quiet now.

Actually from what I have heard the Fortron 530w is actually very quite... I would suggest that.

(I know I said Zalman before but I didn't know that the 530w this quite...)

Back