• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD CPU Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{pdX}Canadatron

I am finally starting to get into some overclocking and I know my stock fan just wont do. Which cpu fan is the best for AMD procs? I currently have a 2200 but will be getting a 2500 mobile in the near future, so I'm looking for one with the 2500 in mind. Any info could be a great help. I know I could just run out and buy the most expensive one but that isn't always the best choice. Thanks

I like the blower fans.... They cool the centre on the processor which traditional fans aren't very good at, but you can get adaptors. I'd love to have a Delta 120mm FF on my Aero7+ but I can't find a 80mm to 120mm adaptor anyway. Even ebay fails my serch.

I think if your going to start overclocking, perhaps more important than a fan at this stage, is the heatsink. Definaetly get a performance one with some thermal compound.

Depends on your budget and your motherboard. If your motherboard has the mounting holes, go for either the Thermalright SP-97 or the SLK-948U. The SLK-948U will also be compatible with the A64's should you decide to go that route in the future.

If you don't have the mounting holes, go for the SLK-900A.

If you're on a tighter budget, the ALX-800 is a good buy. you can get it from NCIX for about 35 bucks, and comes with an 80mm Delta Screamer (80cfm, 55dba).

Last edited:
Well I'd be replacing the whole unit, heatsink/fan. I have an ABIT NF7-S mobo. Sorry for not specifying. Money isn't a problem either. Just want to know what is the best air cooling available, don't wanna mess with H20 cooling though.

I think the NF7-S has got the 4 mounting holes. !Not 100% sure though
If it has go for the SP-97 with a good fan and you'll have great cooling.
SP-97 are expensive though, £37 here in the UK.
But if money is so issue get that!

Quattro said:
I think the NF7-S has got the 4 mounting holes. !Not 100% sure though
If it has go for the SP-97 with a good fan and you'll have great cooling.
SP-97 are expensive though, £37 here in the UK.
But if money is so issue get that!
Yes the NF7-S does have the 4 mounting holes...
and the SP-97 is one hell of a heatsink apparantly, definatly would be a good choice

The fan isn't really the most important in terms of brand. As long as it has good CFM (air movement) then it should be fine. In terms of the heatsink, you need to be sure to get a design that does the job well. Thermalright and Swiftech are two good choice from my experience. Aslo you could look at the Zalman 7000 Al-Cu. It's only $30 and comes w/ a heatsink, fan and a fan controller in case you decide not to overclock much and want to turn down the noise level. :)

I've got a Swiftech MCX 462 heat sink. I tossed the Sanyo Denki fan that came with it cause it was ridiculously noisy but flowed good air. I replaced the fan with a Panaflo and it handles pretty much anything I throw at it. I forgot to mention it is on a 3000+ Barton that came unlocked from the factory. It's on an Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0 motherboard.

Back