• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optorite, dual layer DVD burner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
NEWEGG: Optorite 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive Model DD0405

Any chance I am correct in assuming that it READS dual layer only? Any chance this can be dual layer burning drive with a future hack?

Dual layer aside is this an OK drive? Newegg only has 3 reviews. Reason I ask is because my CD burner has just taken a dive and I could use a replacement. And sorry if this drive has been discusses a million times before but the search function doesnt work for me.

Any input?

Attachments

• DVD.JPG
    DVD.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 138
I do believe that theres a mistake. Because look here
DVD+R: 8X max
DVD+RW: 4X max
DVD-R: 8X max
DVD-RW: 4X max
CD-R: 40X max
CD-RW: 24X max
If it did dua layer, it would state the dl layer speeds of burn at 2.4x. I think that it is ment is can burn doube sided dvd-r not dual layer.

stompah said:
NEWEGG: Optorite 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive Model DD0405

Any chance I am correct in assuming that it READS dual layer only? Any chance this can be dual layer burning drive with a future hack?

Dual layer aside is this an OK drive? Newegg only has 3 reviews. Reason I ask is because my CD burner has just taken a dive and I could use a replacement. And sorry if this drive has been discusses a million times before but the search function doesnt work for me.

Any input?

You are mixing the reading and writing formats. Dual-layer is just the normal single side / dual layer DVDs you get movies on that have a four hour or 8 GB capacity. The problem is that current DVD writers can only burn single layer 4.7 GB discs. That is why your hav to compress movies if you copy them. Drives that can burn dual-layer discs require the ability to accurate focusing of the laser on either of the two layers. This seems simple enough but it seems that a drive would have to be designed to do that in order to add the capabily with a firmware update. If it was just a matter of a simple update for any 8X drive to burn dual-layer then manufactuers would be telling us that. Since they are not then it is more probable that they must designed to do that in the first place like some are.

Back