• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Raptor 74 gig drives (WD740GD)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I was curious who here has the WD740GD? I keep reading that it gives you a really fast boot time & the system runs a lot quicker. Is there any truth to this or is it a myth?

Thanks,
Rich

it's faster than my 36Gb Raptor....that's for sure...the 76 Gb actually beats some of the SCSI drives out there that run at 15k rpm....

It's very fast...offers at least half boot time and half load times in games like farcry. I recommend a 74 raptor to everyone.. not the small one though it's not so fast. It's really to bad too becasue the small one is all you need for a boot drive/applications drive but it's a rip IMO.

Hrm.. A buddy of mine ordered 2 & I might take the plunge. i keep reading that winXP installs (fresh) in 11 minutes, etc etc.

Basically that its a speedy drive.

I have a 3.2 processor, (asus board that I cant remember) and a WD 250 gig drive (IDE). Would I notice a huge improvement?

richklein said:
Hrm.. A buddy of mine ordered 2 & I might take the plunge. i keep reading that winXP installs (fresh) in 11 minutes, etc etc.

Basically that its a speedy drive.

I have a 3.2 processor, (asus board that I cant remember) and a WD 250 gig drive (IDE). Would I notice a huge improvement?

two 36s in raid 0 here...winxp install in 7 minutes

Well, I did buy one & Sandra says its faster. The SOP (seat of pants) tells me it 'might' be a little faster, but maybe its even to what I have already (250 gig WD 8 meg cache drive).

I would say, that its mostly marketing. The drive is fast with just winxp on it, but start adding apps, & any speed difference is sucked up.

Good marketing by WD though! Ya got my 180 bucks!

The rotational speed is faster, and the seek time is cut in half, why would it not be faster?

well -

i was just using a 160g WD 8mb drive - i got my 74g WD and DEUMM!!!

i boot to windows from pressing the power on button in like 10 seconds!!!

that is a dual PSU system :D

i would get one!!! iof all you have is a stanard IDE drive or ata drive :D

rush69 said:
how loud is WD740GD? i got seagates right now i dont even know they are there when anything loads....

From my perspective it is almost completely silent. Others have said its loud though.

rush69 said:
well i guess im getting one... all i hear is good feedback about it.

tx guys

I wouldnt get one expecting a 30% speed increase. I would say with a base windows system it is certainly faster than a base ata133 system. Start adding stuff & the "speed" gets sucked up.

The rotational speed is faster, and the seek time is cut in half, why would it not be faster?

Depends on what controller (onboard/PCI) youre using. With identical controllers, the onboard "SHOULD" be faster (FSB vs PCI Clock of 33mhz).

i boot to windows from pressing the power on button in like 10 seconds!!!

My boot time is equally short, with only ata133 devices. Of course, that is due to a highly tweaked startup.

The drive is fast with just winxp on it, but start adding apps, & any speed difference is sucked up.

So unless you plan on maintaining your startup voraciously, you won"t see a difference. And given my setup, if you took care of your startup with an ata133 device, you achieve similar boot times.

Of course, that being said... I still want one. :) (those seek times are mighty sweet)

you will not be going back to 7200 rpm HDD's after making the switch. it's that fast. i know im not likely too, unless its for additional storage.

1st, how did you get your Raptor to get 88+ MBPS? I benched mine using HD Tach and it only got 16MBPS :mad: I have an onboard Silicon Image SATA RAID on my new mother board and I still only get 16MBPS. How do I configure HD Tach to bench my drive correct? I can not even bench my Raptor using Sandri because It says "Corrupted test and will not continue." My computer boots slow becuase It has to boot up the Raid card then windows, is there anyway I can get around this? Everything on my computer is stock and I have not done anything to mod it. Anyway, I love my raptor when I game and surf the internet. :clap: My games load up sooo fast and the internet seems faster even while using cable internet. When Farcry auto saves between levels I hardly can tell it saved the game because I am so focused on not getting killed. When I had My SLOW 7200rpm drive the game would take forever to load and programs would load sooo slooow. Now that I have a new board with 2 Sata raid slots, I am going to buy another 36 gig Raptor and raid 0. :attn: :burn: I would highly advise anyone who is in the market for a new drive to buy a Raptor drive.

o.k. so I'm considering the Raptor.... what's the final word about the 36gb vs the 74gb?.... is there a noticable difference in speed? Also, how difficult would it be to use a sata drive as the only drive in the system? Is it just a matter of having the drivers for the initial os install? If I decide to go sata it will be totally new to me, so any info will be most welcome.

Back