• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requesting Beta Testers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

munky

Registered
I am in the process of developing a forum/cms. I have gotten to a point in my forum development where I need beta testers. I am not officially releasing the source yet, but it is available online. I would greatly appreciate it if people would register on the forum. Then if they posted and browsed around it would help greatly. Please report all bugs in the "Bugs" category, or email/pm me. The forum can be accessed here:
http://66.98.166.51/hanochteller.com/munky/

Thank you!

It works, I suppose. I'll keep playing. It looks pretty good, but some of the fonts are a little big and in your face.

You know, considering that your forum claims it is licensed under the GPL, I have to wonder: where is the source? I am aware that you've got those "View this page's source code" buttons beneath every page, but that doesn't make it very easy for anyone to review the code. Assuming you believe in the ideas behind open source development (which I think is a reasonable assumption, considering you're using the GPL and have a sourceforge project page), then why not make it easier to look at the source code? Didn't someone once say, "With enough eyes, all bugs are shallow." If you don't release the code, you aren't going to have many eyes.

Right now, you're beta testing your open source software the same way people would beta test closed source software: having people test it. While there's nothing wrong with that, source code review is a very powerful tool that is available to you, which you don't seem to be using. I think it's in your project's best interest to release packages of source code (which you can do via your sourceforge page, or through the CVS server they provide) as soon as possible.

For a more detailed discussion about open source development models, check out ESR's The Cathedral and The Bazaar. Right now, your project seems to be using a "cathedral" development model. You should strongly consider the benefits outlined in that essay of the "bazaar" model.

I am in the process of commenting my source. I am fixing up parts so it is presentable to the community. For the meantime the View Source will have to do. I should have a Beta release by the end of the week or so.

Back