• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where to get mesh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smerko

Registered
where abouts do you guys get wire mesh from??? i mean wire kind with small holes. will go front of case in a hole i made :D. thanks

Well i would first check the local hardware store, thats probally where you would get it for the cheapest.

cheers guys. unfortunately Cerberus2k7 i live in the uk... the stuff i was looking for however was with far smaller holes in it. like so it lets air through and light gets through but you cant actually see a great deal of whats behind it. get me?

smerko said:
where abouts do you guys get wire mesh from??? i mean wire kind with small holes. will go front of case in a hole i made :D. thanks

The hardware store (Home Depot) sold me a huge roll of wire fencing (1/4" spacing) for $10.

This should give a pretty minimal airflow restriction. Looks OK, not super.

the wesson

Surprised no one mentioned Office Depot or any office supply store. I picked up a vertical paper holder for $5.99 at Office Depot. It's black metal mesh, strong yet easy to work with provided you have some wire cutters.

Yeah, the office supply store is a good source. They also sell trash cans made from that same mesh that can be cut into whatever size you need.

Another source of "mesh" with slightly larger "diamond" shape holes can be found at your neighborhood Lowes. It is the premium metal gutter cover and comes in a 6' x 36' (maybe 48") section and is of a metallic finish. It sells for about $2 and works really well for custom fan grills and psu mods.

Mine's the expanded diamond type. I salvaged it off the muck covered filter of a pond pump, submerged for 29 years. Stainless steel - it polished up nicely.

Shame I couldn't get the pump to run. :p

I went to the local Wal-Mart and looked in the grilling (bbq-pits) section and bought a weiner grill for $0.94 ,it's 12" x 16"..I bought the filter media there too..I realize you don't have Wal-Mart there in the UK but look around a bit...:) Think outside the box, M8 :burn:

frt-grill-moby-004.gif
please don't quote my pic.:)

smerko said:
cheers guys. unfortunately Cerberus2k7 i live in the uk... the stuff i was looking for however was with far smaller holes in it. like so it lets air through and light gets through but you cant actually see a great deal of whats behind it. get me?

www.wstyler.com

That is analytical grade mesh, but anything lower than 150microns in stainless steel shouldn't be more than 12$ per square foot. At very low opening sizes, you won't see much behind it, air would get through it but it would be fairly restrictive.

You would able to find a local reseller if Tyler doesn't have a direct rep in UK. Fisher Scientific most probably carry their products.

Archilochus,

I had been wondering where you picked up MOBYDICK'S "grill"ing. I had run across that stuff once, and forgot about it until I just saw your post. It is very similar to the stuff from Lowes, but the sheet size is different, allowing it to be used in situations where the stuff from Lowes wouldn't work. It just so happens that I'm headed to Wal Mart in the next hour or two...I guess that I'll have to swing by the Lawn & Garden Section now.

Chilly Reefa_Madness, They have a round and rectangular shape available..The manufacturer is Oscareware,Inc. Get a couple of them in case you mess one up..:)
The foam filter media is in the hardware dept. A/C window unit , trim to fit, 2 sheets per package..Washable media..;) I spent $ 3.00 total...:cool:

Back