• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best stability program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaroncat

Guys,

Whats the best stability program??
I am using Prime95 currently, but theres gotta be something better out there.

@ TS: do you use dual-prime for the prescott you have? Running 2 instances is more sensitive for errors, since it also utilises the HTT function

Prime is still the ultimate stability test... but, I've found that PCmark2004 is a fast and easy way to tell whether you are unstable. It seems to stress a computer system pretty good. I would still do Prime as a final check though.

Thanks guys.....

No I didn't think about running two instances of Prime95 for the HT. I am having enough trouble with a single instance of Prime95 right now, but when more stable I'll give it a shot

Sjaak said:
@ TS: do you use dual-prime for the prescott you have? Running 2 instances is more sensitive for errors, since it also utilises the HTT function
I tried to do that, but my PC somehow refuses to run a second Prime. When I try to run a second one,the task only swiches to the first one running.
Its kind of strange, because on my second rig (PIII550@620,Win2000) its possible (though useless :) ) to run a second prime...

meionm said:
How do you run two instances of prime

Install twice into different directories, then run both. Never use blend test when dual-priming.

ap673 said:
How long should you run prime95 to check if ur system is stable?

usually, 12 hours (dual) prime stability is considered stabile. For folding or gimping stability, it should be more like a week or so. For game stability, a few hours is enough

Never use blend test when dual-priming.

Which test of the 4 should I be running for single prime, and which for dual prime?

Edit: Actually, since you said not to run blend test, I'm guessing the appropriate thing to do is to run one small FFTs and one in-place large FFTs?

Last edited:
Parliaments said:
Which test of the 4 should I be running for single prime, and which for dual prime?

Edit: Actually, since you said not to run blend test, I'm guessing the appropriate thing to do is to run one small FFTs and one in-place large FFTs?

yes, its the FFT stress test.

Captain Newbie said:
Is your Windows installation on your HT rig fresh?

Yes, it is.
I just tried what sjaak said. And it works. I had to install it a second time in another directory...
THX!

Back