• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100 budget, what ram to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper2004

I am going to be building my first pc and i am gonna use an nf7-s mobo, 2500 mobile, antec 430true psu, g4 ti4200-8x 128 mb gpu, and 80gb sata hd. I need the best memory i can get for a $100 budget. Either 2 sticks of 256 or 1 stick of 512 whatever the best is for my setup. I will be overclocking so please put that into your suggestions. Thanks

I'd suggest 2x 256 right off the bat so he (or she) can run in dual channel, then another 512 later if he (or she) wants to. Then again, I really don't know much about ram at all.

Well I went by what flapperhead said, and it my opinion he is the ultimate king of all RAM.

He also said this is HIGH FSB ram, and if your board isn't a real high FSB board (which I dont think the nf7-s is) Then I would go with something that has better timings at a lower FSB. I decided to get this because it has nothing but GOOD reviews, and its capable of high FSB, which my ultra infinity can (should :S) handle

QuantumPC said:
I'd suggest 2x 256 right off the bat so he (or she) can run in dual channel, then another 512 later if he (or she) wants to. Then again, I really don't know much about ram at all.
Dual Channel offers little preformance infcrease on the AMD platform. Two sticks of 512 is far easier to deal with than 3 sticks of ram.

Well, im a guy, to clear that up. Does anyone know that this ram will run in my NF7-S motherboard at dual channel? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yes, that ram will run in dual channel
Just make sure your board supports dual channel. I don't know ANYTHING about abit mobos.

it more than likely should because it has the nforce 2 chipset

Well, I take it by a-pacer you mean a-data.

Also, I'd make sure your friend knows a ****load about Memory or has personally owned it before I would take his advice over a LOT of other peoples advice on a computer guru forum.

But, about the Kingston Valueram. Check out the memory section for a thread that flapperhead has. Valueram is always a pretty good deal, but you are taking a big chance of gettin some dud-ram (which happens with a lot of others, also)

I think either selection will be a good choice but the a-data will give you better performance for your needs. (DDR500 vs DDR400)

And from my numerous readings on crucial memory, they are good for stability, but pretty much crap for OCing (correct me if I am wrong)

I'd go either the valueram or a-data

On a final note, if you want to do some serious OCing it would be recommended to get some heatspreaders for the valueram.

i think im gonna go with 2 sticks of kingston valueram, flapperhead had bought some and other people had and they had good results...i think im gonna go with this ram

Viper2004 said:
Well, im a guy, to clear that up. Does anyone know that this ram will run in my NF7-S motherboard at dual channel? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yes it should.

Do you play games? This will greatly influence your descion.

yes i am a gamer, and i need this ram to last me a long while and kingston has that quality...

If u want kingston value ram check out costco if u have one near u mine has pc2700 with the bt-d43 hynix chips on them that are supose to hit 2500 fsb and over with 2.9v and there around 100 bucks :)

Viper2004 said:
yes i am a gamer, and i need this ram to last me a long while and kingston has that quality...
For modern games only 512MBs of RAM really isn't enough. Load times are long, and preformance gets laggy (at some points with lots of textures and whatnot). Seriously consider getting a full GB (1024MBs) of RAM.

It is easier to add an extra stick of the same size to run dual channel than adding another one that is bigger than the 2 previously existing.

I can't afford a gig of ram atm, i can afford 512 and getting more ram near christmas time. I am only 15 so i dont have any income whatsoever :-/

Back