• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Raptor 36 GB (raid-0) VS 1 Raptor 74 GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drsomewhat

Anyone think i should keep my two raptors coming soon? I was going to set up a raid 0 with two 36 gb raptors, but i also have heard about raptor 74 gb's being quieter and better. Any ideas? (I can sell both raptors for the price of the 74 gb, so im ok moneywise)

well i went with the 74gig one because raid 0 is more helpful when you have to write a ton...and can be risky. If I somehow use up this one I'll get a HD for just storage of stuff

I'd keep the two. The two in RAID 0 would outperform a single 74GB raptor. Now if you get two 74GB raptors in RAID 0, that's a whole other story. If you can afford it, yes, the 74 raptors are quieter and better than the 36 ones, but unless you're doing RAID 0 with them, just don't bother.

as you can see it depends on what you are doing. Large file moving frequently? or do you need files found faster? ...

I think ill go for a 74 gb raptor. Im in a modded xaser 3 right now, and i took out the hdd rack, so im mounting my 160 gb maxtor right now using zipties in my lowest optical drive slot. considering i have two pATA 200 GB drives coming in soon (which im setting up in raid-0) and placing those in the floppy slots, i wont have much more space for another hdd. (+ i doubt my SATA cables will reach all the way from my HardCano 10 to the SATA controller on my motherboard)

I'd be using the SATA for my OS and for my apps and games - and i mostly play games. I think the 74 gb will be a better choice + i havent had much experience with SATA drives yet.

I don't know where al this fear of Raid0 setup s is coming from. I've been running 2 computers in Raid0 for over two years and never experienced a failure due to the drives or configuration. My limited knowledge of the format is that the ability to split data over two separate drives allows the seek time to be reduced because the work is shared. I know when i upgraded my current system to the Raptors, the benchmarks increased considerably, but I was also going from a standard IDE drive. Usind a stand alone SATA 10k drive could have the same effect. But as a note of caution, I keep everything backed up just in case and all critical data files reside on a separate disk.

i still think itd be better to use a raid-0 on my 200 gb drives, thats where ill be doing major file transfers and stuff. my sata will be for my apps and all

drsomewhat said:
i still think itd be better to use a raid-0 on my 200 gb drives, thats where ill be doing major file transfers and stuff. my sata will be for my apps and all

200GB IDE drives? if you set up raid with them, make sure each drive gets its OWN cable. since IDE cables can only transfer data from one devise at a time, it would make the RAID array useless...

Back