• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does tightening mem speed help with prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcat92

Registered
I was trying to find the max fsb. I was testing 211 fsb and had to tighten my memory timing to 6-3-3-2.5, the max rated speed for my memory at 200mhz, from 11-4-4-3 in order to have Prime95 pass. With the 6-3-3-2.5, P95 was good for at least 55 minutes but with 11-4-4-3 and 8-4-4-3, P95 failed after 2 minutes. This does not make sense since the lax time should have made the oc more stable. But in this case, I needed to tighten the timing in order to have stability. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

What kind of memory chips are they? I can see something like this happening with BH-5/6. Sometimes memory doesn't like really really lax timings - it messes it up. I think that problem is a little more common with AMD systems. For example, BH-5 WON'T run CAS 3, it's sloppy at CAS 2.5, and happy at CAS 2.

Same with my CH-5; the highest FSB possible was attained at timings 2-8-4-4 but that was no mhz significant over 2-5-3-2

~t0m

Back