• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU load temps 20C above case temp = bad cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I've had my SP-97 with AS5 on my CPU for over a week now, I haven't really noticed much of a temp drop from the AS5 'setting in'.

Anyway, it gets pretty chilly in my room at night, while running prime95 I noticed that my case temp is 22C while my CPU temp is still 42C. If I let the CPU idle it drops to around 32C or so. Anyway, I'm wondering if that is a pretty big difference between case and cpu temp?

My cpu temps are always like 15-20c higher nothing to worry about, altho i live in a hot and muggy area.

My case temps are 28c and the cpu on load is @ 48c

now my case 24C, temp 46
on just small aplications!
when case gets up to 28C it hits 54C on small aplications, hits 60C on running games, has gone up to 65C, but im going to get some better cooling, i have negitive air pressure at the moment, what do you have gingo?

The air temp going INTO the heatsink or radiator fan is the floor - all other temps you see are added onto this temp. If the air temp is 35 or 40C going into the fan, then there is NO WAY this heatsink will give you 40C at the CPU. The following table lays out what to expect for a 100 watt CPU:
To calculate what to expect for other CPUs, for every watt the CPU radiates, the heatsink will cool the core by the (C/W x watts) plus ambient temp. For example, at a fan inlet temp of 25 C, a C/W of 0.25 with a CPU radiating 50 watts means that the CPU temp will be 50 x 0.25 = 12.5 C over ambient temp, or 37.5 C.

Last, remember that in-socket thermistors are not accurate measures of CPU temps. Every heatsink affects an in-socket thermistor differently, as does airflow over the motherboard. There is no consistency between motherboards as well. At a minimum, you can factor +/- 5 C to these temps.

SOURCE LINK :burn:

DuallyKickass, The mobo sensor must be reporting the wrong system/mobo temp..I put a remote thermal sensor on the backside of my mobo, centered on the NB..It reports about 1°C higher than Speedfan does for system/mobo temp...No way your mobo can be 40C and the cpu temp be the same 40C..:) Try putting a thermometer of some sort in the case around mid-level..What do you use to read your temps?

I asked a similar question a while back. theWesson had some sound insights. Do a search on 'temp ok?'.

For a short answer: My case is 32 and cpu load p95 is 56. Huge delta. Then again, I'm sucking air from the hsf. If blowing, it would be 38/56. Smaller delta but warmer case. So I suck instead. A constraint put on by my Sonata.

Back