• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calibrating an LCD Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metsrule3186

I just bought an lcd screen for the first time (Dell 2001FP). I just wanted to know what i should do to calibrate the monitor. Is there software or something that i should use or should i do it manually. I dont really know what the correct settings should be for things like brightness, contrast, colors, etc. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Spend a few hundred more on a Spyder :beer:

Seriously, though, look for a free app that does gamma correction, preferably in R, G, and B as well as in a single control. I don't know if you can find Adobe Gamma standalone, but its one of the more well-known and thorough non-hardware calibration tools that I can think of.

yea heh ive seen spyder before but when i saw the price i wasnt gonna get one :). is the adobe one part of an adobe package or is it just seperate

I got it as part of Photoshop, but you might be able to download it separately. It's not integrated into the program per se, its just a little utility installed separately with it.

From what I gathered from the MaxPC article, it doesn't have gamma correction, which you absolutely need. I might've missed it, I'm not exactly with it at this point, but the point is you need gamma correction as part of the package.

dont know too much about monitors. what does gamma correction do. also for some reason on the monitor there is no stuff like brightness and contrast just correction for the 3 colors. is it suppose to be like that. are lcds set differently from crts. also heres the list of everything display mate does that i found on the site though i dont know what the demo includes http://www.displaymate.com/listdmw.html

Gamma is sort of like boosting the brightness, but only around the midtones- it's hard to explain, but its like a brightness control you can't do with the brightness control on the monitor that does a lot to the final balance of the image.

You might as well just try out that program and see how happy you are with it, and then look for other options if you aren't.

i tried displaymate demo and it helped with mostly just brightness and contrast. it didnt have anything for rgb. does anyone know what i can use for that.

Back