• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scammers alert.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I don't know where to post this thread. Here I received an email asking me to verify my email because Nivida account created. I don't own a Nivida gpu and I did not create the account myself. What should I do? Ignore and delete the email call it the end. I did some searching about contact Nivida about this unauthorized open account but I find it difficult to contact. No contact email etc. Attach a screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724_194858_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_194858_Email.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it very much. I deleted it.

I got a feeling the almost finished Nivida account is a fake, trying to steal information personal information. I did get a lot scammers texts to my phone but I always deleted as I see it . Scammers failed to steal my personal information and now they try my email. I only click on link that I am expecting. Anything else ignore and deleted.

Yeah. Having worked in IT/IS for over 25 years, some scams are easier to spot than others. Some get really good about hiding their fake identity and others have such poor grammar and zero attempts to hide the fact that the IRS is sending me a request for money on a gmail or hotmail account. I mean really?

Some of these folks are really crafty and others are looking for a quick buck with no effort.

Stay alert to be sure. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, even responsding or reporting as phishing or spam can expose your email to know it's 'real'. Deletos. :)

I think a good practice is to NEVER click on the contents of ANY email, because afaik you can never know for sure if the email was spoofed or not.
Sadly, businesses keep sending email actively soliciting people (me) to click both on buttons and links in the email I receive, but I never click on it. I do a right click and then copy the url for inspection.

Hovering your mouse over a link generally shows the link itself. Like I could write www.overclockers.com but the link I created here is for another website. (I made the link to our sister site in Australia.)

Ha, my rouse works! Hahahahahaha......

When hovering your mouse over the link, you'll see the link show up in the bottom left corner of the window.

I'll bite..... no reading emails anymore? Go back to snail mail??
No I meant, you can still read the email (though iirc, still risk sender knowing the moment you read the email if paranoid), but my point is to not click any links, nor click any html button in the email. Better to copy the url's and evaluate them before pasting that url in some browser imo.

Opening email attachments also seems like a solid no imo. Admittedly, I no longer have any idea if opening a PDF file is a risk or not these days.

I am no expert, but I would think secure email is like an open problem in security.

No I meant, you can still read the email (though iirc, still risk sender knowing the moment you read the email if paranoid), but my point is to not click any links, nor click any html button in the email. Better to copy the url's and evaluate them before pasting that url in some browser imo.
Agreed... I just saw "ALL" in big tall letters and took it literally, lol. If you know the source, chances are you're OK and can click. If there is a question... ANY question, it's best to isolate and check.

Ah, heh, wait a minute.

Say you think you got some email from your bank. Could be fraud, even if it looks like it might be from your bank. I think it isn't a good idea to make the assumption that the email is probably from the sender. Point being, imo best to not take any chances.

I basically only use email for reading. I do ofc send email with attachments, but those are image files, which I think is fairly harmless. I mean, when I get email, I just read it. Mabye copy paste an url into a browser if I have to respond to something, but being very careful about it. I sometimes get obviosuly fraudulent email so I like being careful. Sometimes people send fake invoices, those emails I just delete without really checking. I could also swear I've gotten at least two nigerian prince emails in the past. :D

Ah, heh, wait a minute.

Say you think you got some email from your bank. Could be fraud, even if it looks like it might be from your bank. I think it isn't a good idea to make the assumption that the email is probably from the sender.
...never assume! Agreed.

My post clearly states if you know, you're OK. If you don't or if you have ANY concerns it isn't legit; do not open it. If a user wants to go through the process of isolating links in "ALL" emails, that's 'a' choice but it feels like a lot of effort for little returns...especially if you have mitigating measures in place already (AV apps, being semi-concisous checking sender, for example).

Opening email attachments also seems like a solid no imo. Admittedly, I no longer have any idea if opening a PDF file is a risk or not these days.

I am no expert, but I would think secure email is like an open problem in security.
Same thing as links... if you are certain of the source, why not/why waste the effort??? Also virus scanners cover attachments in emails frequently too, so you're protected there as well.

I totally get being safe, but those are hoops I won't jump through if I'm confident the source is legit. To each their own on that. ;)

EDIT: Note, I'm also one of those people who've used Windows Defender only for the last several years and not had a virus. I'm not saying that was the saving grace, but between it and just being smart about emails, links, and sites, I've managed to avoid infection without those consistent extra efforts.

Last edited:
Just do not click. Also do not do any ip tracking or investigating. Do not go into their files and screw with stuff. The US FBI frowns on messing with Russian hackers who steal our information.

Email rules "I" live by:

1. NEVER click any url in an email. Even if its from your bank. These can be easily spoofed. Go to your browser and manually type in your bank URL. Better safe than sorry.

2. Just like rule 1, never open attachments from emails. (pictures are an exception and then only from a known source.)

3. I don't ever respond to suspect email scams. These go to the Junk folder and are deleted without hesitation. This also goes for reporting scams. Why give a scammer the knowledge that your email is valid?

4. Always laugh at an email scam attempt from some place you don't have an account with. I get them occasionally from Chase Bank. I don't have an account there. lol (for obvious reasons)

Z

PS: Im sure there are more but these are the basics :)

Back