• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outlook 2010 suddenly having problems send/receiving Gmail emails! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

Since late July I started noticing one by one my Gmail accounts no longer were downloading mail from the server. And finally last night I noticed that all of them were not sending or receiving email anymore. I have about 5-6 accounts for different purposes. They all no longer work with Outlook and I have changed nothing. I can log into webmail to get my email and it seems it is coming through on my phone also, but not Outlook. I started noticing mail not being able to be sent out from my last functioning account and now I am trying to figure out what happened...

Did Microsoft or Gmail just make some updates?

Platform: Win 7 64
Software: Outlook 2010
Service: POP3
Settings: incoming 995 / SSL required / outgoing 587 TLS

The errors are as follows:

Task 'GMAIL - XXXXXX Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

Task 'GMAIL - XXXXXX - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

I am getting these two errors on every single account now!

So I try to fix it, and the it prompts me for a password and user ID which of course also doesn't work, so now I get a new error as

Task 'GMAIL -XXXXXXX - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC91) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your user name. Verify your user name for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR No POP server defined. Use real server address instead of 127.0.0.1 in your account.'

no ideas where 127.0.0.1 came from either...

I have attempted to create a new outlook profile for the accounts using imap, but outlook is not liking the settings and send/receive is still failing.

Was this problem caused by Windows? Gmail? A crash of Outlook? A virus? or something else? And how to fix it?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I ran into this problem on a Windows 10 machine in my customer base about a year ago. It turned out to be a Windows 10 update that was causing the problem. Upgrading Office to the 2013 version fixed things. In researching this issue I found it was a common problem with Windows 10 and Office Outlook 2010. It could be fixed by replacing a certain file in the update with the older version from an earlier Windows 10 installer but it was a temporary fix as the next Windows 10 update roll-out would probably just replace it with the incompatible file again. As I know you are using Windows 7 I'm not sure this will be of any help to you but there is a chance it could be the same kind of issue.

Mail Store can import and archive multiple accts for free. Maybe it's a server error who knows.
https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/
I can't use it or even a client with the 2 providers I use. One uses 2FA, and the other runs on an encrypted server which won't allow a windows client, only an android ap.

Thank you, however, I don't see how this is relevant to my original question. Though I find the software might be useful for other means.

I ran into this problem on a Windows 10 machine in my customer base about a year ago. It turned out to be a Windows 10 update that was causing the problem. Upgrading Office to the 2013 version fixed things. In researching this issue I found it was a common problem with Windows 10 and Office Outlook 2010. It could be fixed by replacing a certain file in the update with the older version from an earlier Windows 10 installer but it was a temporary fix as the next Windows 10 update roll-out would probably just replace it with the incompatible file again. As I know you are using Windows 7 I'm not sure this will be of any help to you but there is a chance it could be the same kind of issue.

You know, I was thinking about that, but Windows 7 has not updated in over a year. I think they stopped having updates and they will close support for it in January 2019. If Windows 7 did update, then I have no idea how or when because I was never notified of it. I am planning to upgrade my entire system soon, but I am not quite ready and need access by outlook to my email. I have had the settings for seven years without issue, then one day, suddenly everything stopped. I have not gotten any mail since July 31. It seems Google also rolled out another platform on that same day, forgot what it is called, but mostly for Enterprise users. But I am unsure if it had some effects on Outlook connections or not. I have posted messages to Google forum, but they just say add and delete, that is not working at all. And all of my other domain names run with Outlook are working fine. This is very frustrating as I cannot find a fix for this...

Google has a security setting related to allowing 'less secure' connections. I ran into this when using a 3rd party client to access gmail accounts.

https://devanswers.co/allow-less-secure-apps-access-gmail-account/ <---this

Z

Yes, I am aware of that setting. Nothing has been changed. Again these accounts have been in Outlook 2010 without adjusting them for more than 7 years. I have gone into my account and actually checked that, and all is well. All accounts stopped working at virtually the same time. In and around July 31, 2019....

If you access these gmail accounts outside of Outlook, do they work normally?

If you access these gmail accounts outside of Outlook, do they work normally?

Yes, both webmail is working fine, and 2 phones and 1 pad are also working fine. It is MS Outlook problems.. MS must have updated something without my knowledge recently. Or Gmail made some change to how pop3 works and so all accounts stopped working within Outlook in and around the same time.

The interesting part too is that I have tried to delete and readd the accounts to Outlook, to no avail, the same problem happens, even I cannot get passed the test stage to even add the account as the server cannot find the account. I tried pop3 and imaping them, again to no avail. there is a problem between Outlook and Gmail somewhere.. I have read some others are having the same issues, but no one has come up with a solution yet.

What about using another third party client like Thunderbird? If it works with Thunderbird then it would be evidence that the issue is truly on the Outlook end and not the Google end. And what about other non-gmail services? Will Outlook retrieve messages from their servers?

What about using another third party client like Thunderbird? If it works with Thunderbird then it would be evidence that the issue is truly on the Outlook end and not the Google end. And what about other non-gmail services? Will Outlook retrieve messages from their servers?

Well, I took your advice, and here is the result...

2019-08-14 00_10_02-Write_ test - Thunderbird.jpg

So.. It appears that Gmail does indeed have some problem connecting to external programs on PC... It also does not receive any mail..

Last edited:
My best guess would be there is some kind of gmail security protocol that Windows 7 is not meeting any longer. I've run into this with Windows Mail on Windows 7 machines. Google keeps ratcheting up their security requirements.

Have you checked the Windows 7 update history on your machine to make sure that you have been receiving Microsoft updates? The updater on Windows 7 and XP were both notorious for becoming broken and dysfunctional.

If you have a hotmail or yahool mail account I would see if those are working in Outlook.

Last edited:
My best guess would be there is some kind of gmail security protocol that Windows 7 is not meeting any longer. I've run into this with Windows Mail on Windows 7 machines. Google keeps ratcheting up their security requirements.

Have you checked the Windows 7 update history on your machine to make sure that you have been receiving Microsoft updates? The updater on Windows 7 and XP were both notorious for becoming broken and dysfunctional.

If you have a hotmail or yahool mail account I would see if those are working in Outlook.

How can I find the list of updates? I thought Win 7 stopped updating everything long ago...

I am wondering how many other people have encountered this problem.

Hotmail is working fine. Yahoo is also working time. I have both. I have about 30 different accounts running in Outlook, from my own domains, to google, to others. all of them don't have any issues, only Gmail.

I am planning on updating my machine, but it has been a slow process, I am in the plans of putting together a list for a friend to build the system as he can get cheaper components for me, but he has been busy, so the update is slow going. So I don't expect it to be done soon. I'd like to have the gmail problem figured out quickly, it's already been a week now since I first noticed it.

I didn't actually notice the problem right away, but going through all my gmail accounts it is clear, that something happened on July 31.

It is not true that Windows 7 stopped receiving updates a long time ago. It is in the "extended support" product phase which means there is no longer any tech support available. But updates, at least security updates, will keep coming until January of 2020.

Check for update history in Control Panel>Windows Updates. If the latest updates have old dates then something is wrong.

Outlook could easily be renamed to Lookout! Gmail, another corporate acct. provider, is no better imo. In a nutshell that is the problem. Either stop using them or be faced with their outages with no recourse. I use protonmail and tutanota and appreciate the fact they are not connected to major corporations for this very reason. If I have internet, I can access them period. Same reason I stopped using AOL and never looked back from yahoomail either. Google is a glorified search engine and yahoo is an advertising agency. If you used providers that stick to what they provide...
Kinda like complaining to a walmart employee because they are out of stock of a certain item.

Last edited:
Outlook could easily be renamed to Lookout! Gmail, another corporate acct. provider, is no better imo. In a nutshell that is the problem. Either stop using them or be faced with their outages with no recourse. I use protonmail and tutanota and appreciate the fact they are not connected to major corporations for this very reason. If I have internet, I can access them period. Same reason I stopped using AOL and never looked back from yahoomail either. Google is a glorified search engine and yahoo is an advertising agency. If you used providers that stick to what they provide...
Kinda like complaining to a walmart employee because they are out of stock of a certain item.

Whatever you say here could happen with any company, including those you have installed. Millions of people use Gmail, yeah, it is a corporation, but that is how it is. I have many accounts on gmail it is hard to change over now anyway. They have their support, but with millions of users it is hard to get 1-1 support. But many people would face similar issues if something is changed, and usually they will inform us. With how you talk, I think for you, best not to use any electronic device, because they are all run by big companies. Microsoft - O/S. Smartphone either Apple or Google. Might as well leave the grid young man....

It is not true that Windows 7 stopped receiving updates a long time ago. It is in the "extended support" product phase which means there is no longer any tech support available. But updates, at least security updates, will keep coming until January of 2020.

Check for update history in Control Panel>Windows Updates. If the latest updates have old dates then something is wrong.

I have checked the history - installed updates, and the last update was in Sept. 2017. So yeah, something is wrong... Couple of years and no updates. Yeah, it's odd.

I tried to update, and yeah, I remember a long time ago it was the same message, it reads, "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." This is why I thought MS stopped providing support for Win 7. How do we fix this problem? I suspect that Gmail may want an update in Outlook to continue running.

I disagree, habbajabba. Gmail is a very powerful tool. Now, I don't appreciate some of Google's tactics and I sure don't agree with their corporate politics but IMO whatever Google does technologically speaking is always well done.

I totally understand. Google as an entity is not bad by definition. It is just that the larger the entity becomes, the further from the user it acts. All the relying on this corporation and that company to get what can be done without them, more quickly, more securely, and most importantly, more simply, is THE reason for the lack of any actual social interaction and as well can be blamed for all the bugginess and security lapses by entities such as Chase, Yahoo, Amazon, Instagram, Twitter, Google, Facebook (lmfao) you name it. As long as we as a people pretend that it is 'all good', the problems will never go away until we cut out the middlemen and actually start doing our own networking including any security necessary to our specific needs. The people who need to stay away from technology are the ones who rely on it to the point of complaining because so and so isn't in their best interests and now such and such don't work.
Take that for what it's worth but if it's too big it needs to fail period.

In an ideal world I would agree with you. But if you expect every computer user to take control of their destiny that is a pipe dream and not reality based. The vast majority of people don't have the skill set necessary to do that nor the cognitive faculties to be able to acquire the skill set. That's why we have professionals and technicians in the It field. It's like expecting everyone to be able to service their own automobile. Yes, I too find it frustrating that most people either aren't interested in taking control of their computing needs are don't seem to be able to grasp digital concepts. But it is the way it is. So I don't think it's just a matter of people pretending "it's all good." Most people are at least a little aware that the cyber big boys are less than perfect in their track record but I also think most people understand we don't live in a perfect world. And until things get to a crisis point they are willing to let the "experts" do their thing so that time and energy can be devoted to the things they themselves are interested in and responsible for.

I totally understand. Google as an entity is not bad by definition. It is just that the larger the entity becomes, the further from the user it acts. All the relying on this corporation and that company to get what can be done without them, more quickly, more securely, and most importantly, more simply, is THE reason for the lack of any actual social interaction and as well can be blamed for all the bugginess and security lapses by entities such as Chase, Yahoo, Amazon, Instagram, Twitter, Google, Facebook (lmfao) you name it. As long as we as a people pretend that it is 'all good', the problems will never go away until we cut out the middlemen and actually start doing our own networking including any security necessary to our specific needs. The people who need to stay away from technology are the ones who rely on it to the point of complaining because so and so isn't in their best interests and now such and such don't work.
Take that for what it's worth but if it's too big it needs to fail period.

Alright, I understand your prospective on this, however, this thread is getting off topic. I need a solution to the problem with MS OS not updating now so that maybe I can figure out what is wrong with outlook.

In an ideal world I would agree with you. But if you expect every computer user to take control of their destiny that is a pipe dream and not reality based. The vast majority of people don't have the skill set necessary to do that nor the cognitive faculties to be able to acquire the skill set. That's why we have professionals and technicians in the It field. It's like expecting everyone to be able to service their own automobile. Yes, I too find it frustrating that most people either aren't interested in taking control of their computing needs are don't seem to be able to grasp digital concepts. But it is the way it is. So I don't think it's just a matter of people pretending "it's all good." Most people are at least a little aware that the cyber big boys are less than perfect in their track record but I also think most people understand we don't live in a perfect world. And until things get to a crisis point they are willing to let the "experts" do their thing so that time and energy can be devoted to the things they themselves are interested in and responsible for.

As above, this is getting off topic, and I need a solution to get MS to start updating the OS again so maybe I can get to the bottom of why outlook stopped connection to Gmail. Any ideas? I have run the problem detection software that Windows suggested to find the problem, everything checks out, cannot find anything. It was a fixit software, they either didn't find anything wrong or tried to fix it. Rebooted, problem still exists with MS. I cannot get the updates...

Back