• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outlook 2010 suddenly having problems send/receiving Gmail emails! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For the last couple years windows had been updating mostly with commutative updates. So updating from 2019 files should cover most cases of updates

That's good to know. So it is probably safe then for me to proceed with whatever the updater is ready to install. I am just glad that whatever mini tool did seems to have at least worked to restart windows update. But the bigger question will be once all of these updates are installed with Outlook start functioning again for the Gmail accounts, I will try to finish the updates later and then report back on the status of outlook.

I did say WUMT has the option to enable/disable the update services, it must have lifted the block as soon as it started a search and Windows did it's thing after [emoji39] as was said above, from now on its cumulative updates, multi gigabytes, and will take it's time (if it hasn't finished already). I suggest, when you're sure it stopped, using the Windows cleanup tool and include updates. This will take 15m-1h to finish even on a SSD, but it reclaim almost all the space they take as it will delete any backups and secondary/tertiary copies.

windows-10-old-files.jpeg

One thing to note about doing that process is that it pretty much makes it impossible to uninstall an update afterwards. As it flattens it into the image.

Yeah I moved some things from C to another drive to make more space, but I still only have about 3GB of free space on my C drive SSD. Not much space, microsoft is a memory hog.

So you suggest I do not delete the cleanup files? I was about ready to, and just saw your post. It's about 800mb...

Ok so some good news and some bad news... Windows is all updated it seems. I ran the search several times, rebooted several time, ran it again, nothing new to update, so all is well. And another good news is that my system is running so much faster than it has for the last 2 years. Superantispyware is loading at startup first thing, rather than startup last thing delaying everything else from running. Some some things have been fixed and things are running better.

HOWEVER, Outlooks connection to Gmail is still not working. I was hoping that the Win update would solve any security issues or other problems that may have caused Gmail to basically drop the connections, this is frustrating. One thing solved, but another still exists. Something happened on July 31. or around that time, some change was made somewhere that impacted the connection.. I need some other ideas guys. Let me know.

If you have a spare drive, clone the current one over to it and then try updating to Windows 10 as a test to see if it is something with Windows 7. You can build an installer using the Microsoft Media Creation tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Alternatively, try upgrading your Office version. You can get inexpensive OEM office keys here: https://www.urcdkeys.com/

Just type "Office" in the search tool and you will see various versions. You can also get inexpensive OEM Windows 10 keys at this same web site. Kinguin.net also has similar prices.

That or try a different email application like Thunderbird to see if it will pull the emails down instead of Outlook.

You may as well be looking at upgrading to Office 2016, as Office 2010 is long gone from a support standpoint. [using a link like trents mentioned]

If you have a spare drive, clone the current one over to it and then try updating to Windows 10 as a test to see if it is something with Windows 7. You can build an installer using the Microsoft Media Creation tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Alternatively, try upgrading your Office version. You can get inexpensive OEM office keys here: https://www.urcdkeys.com/

Just type "Office" in the search tool and you will see various versions. You can also get inexpensive OEM Windows 10 keys at this same web site. Kinguin.net also has similar prices.

I was hoping not to have to go through all of this just for fixing this issue, as I plan to upgrade soon, but not soon enough.
But a question on the link here, they are all legit? Not copies? Should I buy Win 10 and Office 2019 from here instead of buying the stand alone versions that are much more expensive?

That or try a different email application like Thunderbird to see if it will pull the emails down instead of Outlook.

You may as well be looking at upgrading to Office 2016, as Office 2010 is long gone from a support standpoint. [using a link like trents mentioned]

Someone else in this thread already recommended Thunderbird, and I tried it, and it failed, it would not connect to Gmail. I tried both imapping and pop3 and both had the same issue, they just would not connect. I am planning to upgrade to Office 2019 when I get my new system, but I am still not sure when this is going to happen. I had not planned to upgrade to Office 2019 on this machine..

The links provided are apparently legit as they have been online for quite a while and M$ has not shut them down, though there may be points of international law involved in that. The big idea is that these products (in many cases but not all) are OEM not retail or may come from distressed retail inventory fire sales I'm thinking. I have used both of these sites (kinguin.net many times) with no problems except that sometimes you have to use the Microsoft automated phone activation process. I would start there anyway.

By the way did you realize that unlike Windows 7, you can install Windows 10 without activating it and have a fully functioning copy if you just want to test something like you are struggling with? Just click the small print link during the install process that says, "I don't have a product key" and proceed. If you want to keep Windows 10 then you can purchase a product key and use it via the "change product key" option.

I agree with Janus about upgrading to a newer version of Office. I think you will find that between moving up to Win 10 and installing a newer version of Office your problem will be cured. Just backup your data first and so a clean install.

Last edited:
If one sometimes has connection problems, changing your ip address through a vpn is mandatory. If his browser works it aint the software.

This issue couldn't be caused by a hacker could it? I mean it would be a bummer if some guy in Romania was getting all your email.

Going back to your first post, techimon. You said the error messages communicated something about encryption not being correct. Have you tried to check that out specifically?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If one sometimes has connection problems, changing your ip address through a vpn is mandatory. If his browser works it aint the software.

OP says the webmail versions of all his email accounts work just fine.

Exactly. If the web versions work then there is a software problem which is not software related imo. I have not heard of any outlook outages recently from anywhere which is why I suggested a vpn to see if the wonderful Taiwanese Internet backbone is working as expected, or if there is a problem with it. If he runs a vpn ip and the software still fails then I am officially out of suggestions. I mean really, either outlook works in Taiwan, or it doesn't. I find it hard to believe he is using it incorrectly. Of course it may well be his config but I highly doubt it.

Exactly. If the web versions work then there is a software problem which is not software related imo. I have not heard of any outlook outages recently from anywhere which is why I suggested a vpn to see if the wonderful Taiwanese Internet backbone is working as expected, or if there is a problem with it. If he runs a vpn ip and the software still fails then I am officially out of suggestions. I mean really, either outlook works in Taiwan, or it doesn't. I find it hard to believe he is using it incorrectly. Of course it may well be his config but I highly doubt it.

???

Hey guys, a couple of days ago my PC decided it was going to enter the energy savings mode, and stayed there. I could not get it out of it no matter what I did. Keyboard and mouse not doing anything. So I had to force reboot without shutting down. When it rebooted, I didn't go through the boot safety crap, I just booted. When it loaded, I noticed that AVAST Anti-virus had been disabled for email / outlook. The rest of anti-virus was running fine. And no matter what I did, it would not activate or turn on the mail part of AVAST. But I did not notice this until Outlook was already opened. And what I found was that Gmail was started to load again and email downloading. WTF I thought. And then I started thinking about it, the most complicated problem probably has the most simplest answer. Antivirus software might be causing the problem!!!!!!!!!!! Something in my antivirus software must have updated around July 31 and stopped outlook from performing a send/receive command. As of now, ALL gmail accounts are once again running smoothly. However, I have yet to contact with Avast to find out what the hell happened. There must be an explanation for this.

In addition, someone recommended, https://www.urcdkeys.com/windows10-pro-oem-office2019-professional-plus-cd-keys-pack_2329-20.html to download the newest version of office. Here is my question. . Can this particular download install on a new system? Or does it have to update from a previous version, I cannot tell, because the instructions seem to be for an update rather than a new install on a new machine.

Also, for this package I notice China as a region, but I am in Taiwan, what does the region mean exactly?

I am planning to have someone put together a system for me, and they offered to go ahead and install the software, so I am thinking to just pay for it, send them the link and let them install it the whole thing for me, and then I will check everything when I get the PC. I can do it myself, but as I am already paying for the new machine and it's free for installation of all the hardware, why not let them install the software also.

Let me know.

Thanks.

The price is very attractive. $70 bucks for Win 10 + Office professional, can't go wrong...

The product keys from Urcdkeys and kinguin.net are OEM product keys. You cannot use them to do an in place upgrade of Windows to a higher version. You would need a retail version of Windows to do that.

Glad you got your email issue fixed. What turned out to be the problem is good to know as some of us might run into that same issue down the road.

Sounds like you have corrupted system files. If I were you I would run these two repairs from an elevated command prompt in Windows:

1. sfc /scannow
2. chkdsk /f /r

there is a space before each forward slash in those commands. They can take hours to complete, especially the second one.

I would also check the SMART drive info on your disk with CrystalDiskInfo, a free utility. You may have a failing drive.

Last edited:
The product keys from Urcdkeys and kinguin.net are OEM product keys. You cannot use them to do an in place upgrade of Windows to a higher version. You would need a retail version of Windows to do that.

Glad you got your email issue fixed. What turned out to be the problem is good to know as some of us might run into that same issue down the road.

Sounds like you have corrupted system files. If I were you I would run these two repairs from an elevated command prompt in Windows:

1. sfc /scannow
2. chkdsk /f /r

there is a space before each forward slash in those commands. They can take hours to complete, especially the second one.

I would also check the SMART drive info on your disk with CrystalDiskInfo, a free utility. You may have a failing drive.

Hi, I am confused... You say the product keys from .urcdkeys.com are for what? For new installs right? Because that is what I need. I am building a new machine. And I gotta tell you, $70 seems a lot better than $600. so can I use these keys for a fresh install of Office and Win XP? Will it provide the link to download? Or just the key? If just the key, where do I download the software from?

And again where it says China as a region, can I still use them in Taiwan? Or does that mean greater China area?

I will run the scans you mention and report back if I can as to what shows up... but I am wondering if AVAST just disabled the email feature because it was causing problems, I need to email them.

The keys from urcdkey and kinguin.net are for clean installs only, not upgrades over an existing earlier Windows version or a lesser version (e.g. you can't use it to upgrade from the Home to the Pro version). Sorry for the confusion. The region should not matter, though you may have to change the keyboard and language settings after installation in some cases.

I would also do a scan for memory issues with memtest86.

The keys from urcdkey and kinguin.net are for clean installs only, not upgrades over an existing earlier Windows version or a lesser version (e.g. you can't use it to upgrade from the Home to the Pro version). Sorry for the confusion. The region should not matter, though you may have to change the keyboard and language settings after installation in some cases.

I would also do a scan for memory issues with memtest86.

Ok so that seems exactly what I want and what I need. But once I buy the keys, where do I download it from? Do they provide the links? How many times can we download it? I need to give the keys and software to the builder.

Back