• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So far for me Win10 proved otherwise, that is, it only works well when it ISN'T allowed to update. But every user has it's own different experience, for example Win8.1 - i have heard dozens of horror stories about it and i re-iterate that i haven't had a single issue in the past ~4y. You lucked out with Win10, i did with Win8.1.

idk how much luck has to do with it, but i'll take it.

that said imo user error accounts for more issues than anything, as someone who manages a business network, and does contract computer support on the side, and manages their own personal and businesses servers and websites only time any of it breaks is when i or someone else messes with it. sure that is all anecdotal, but its a larger base of information, than a couple users experience on a couple systems.

literally all that experience i have YET to see a single windows update break anything, though there is one thing different. the lack of messing with windows system services.

I'm not here to say don't protect your privacy, im just here to say that windows 10 isn't as bad as SOME make it out to be "it cant update without crashing is why i dont use it" and im just making the statement to refute that statement what is wrong with me defending an operating system that seems to function fine when its not tampered with. I don't see why its bickering, you say why you dont want to, i say why i do, and let others make their own decisions based on what we both have to say, id say that is helpful, but some would rather be able to say why they wont use but not have it when anyone says that perhaps its a user error and not a fault of the operating system? lol.

also i never had a single issue with windows 7 or 8.1 either im not saying don't use them, im just saying windows 10 is not some soul sucking banshee that will kill your computer and terminate all of your data like some make it out to be.

"Lucky" W10 user here.... :p

I let it update also. :)
im not saying don't use them, im just saying windows 10 is not some soul sucking banshee that will kill your computer and terminate all of your data like some make it out to be.
this.

There are a vocal few who seem to dig at anything NV, Intel, Windows does. This is a forum, I certainly don't mind hearing woes, but it gets off putting when the same users (on any forum) incessantly needle the opposition. Not saying that is you K, just forums in general.

Last edited:
I understand the sentiment (i mean who knows, might be just both my Sky routers acting up with Win10 for example), but it doesn't change the fact that i had issues with it, so i will be biased. I would assume this is the case with most other people that complain.

I simply say that i don't use it for these main 4 reasons (there's more but it would be picking bones at this point) :

1) gave me problems every time i tried to update (clean install), granted i only installed 4 times myself but it was with different versions (major updates) so it should stand as proof of concept
2) has MANY privacy issues which M$ purposefully makes harder to rectify with every major update
3) has nothing that improves my day to day experience with the possible exception of DX12 sometime in the future
4) It's not NOTICEABLY faster or more fluid (on the same hardware compared to Windows 7/8.1) which IMO should be a requirement considering what we pay for it and what most users do with it - i am of the opinion that every program should be better in every way then it's predecessor

Even if i manage to bypass the update issue, i still have no discernible reason to pick Win10 over Win8.1 or even Win7 other then "it's newer" :confused:

1) If you are having issues installing it, sounds like you need to check your installation media, you using torrented iso's, using official windows iso's put onto usb drives using windows official usb tool, using the "windows upgrade tool", using official windows iso's, and the upgrade tool, of all the installs ive done never had a single issue.
2) i'll take your word for it
3) some of us like dx12, and like to use our fancy new hardware to its best benefit. Another plus for developers is it has bash. it has a bunch of features not available with older windows, just depends if they are for the individual user. multiple desktops(super helpful for multi tasking professionals), bash (yes you can run linux code natively in windows 10) , being able to store your cd keys linked to your ms account, so when you upgrade you dont have to buy a new license to transfer, edge, windows defender is there by default (i disable it as i despise antivirus) but for the avarage joe having a pre-installed good antivirus is a plus, it does a bunch of stuff that the older operating systems don't, i see that thrown around alot, "it doesnt so anything new besides dx12", which is not factual.
4) since when has an operating system ever been...... FASTER than its predecessor?

1) If you are having issues installing it, sounds like you need to check your installation media, you using torrented iso's, using official windows iso's put onto usb drives using windows official usb tool, using the "windows upgrade tool", using official windows iso's, and the upgrade tool, of all the installs ive done never had a single issue.
2) i'll take your word for it
3) some of us like dx12, and like to use our fancy new hardware to its best benefit. Another plus for developers is it has bash. it has a bunch of features not available with older windows, just depends if they are for the individual user. multiple desktops(super helpful for multi tasking professionals), bash (yes you can run linux code natively in windows 10) , being able to store your cd keys linked to your ms account, so when you upgrade you dont have to buy a new license to transfer, edge, windows defender is there by default (i disable it as i despise antivirus) but for the avarage joe having a pre-installed good antivirus is a plus, it does a bunch of stuff that the older operating systems don't, i see that thrown around alot, "it doesnt so anything new besides dx12", which is not factual.
4) since when has an operating system ever been...... FASTER than its predecessor?

1) i have tried it from USB (downloaded original ISO) and from DVD (different versions), same issues with different update
3) I don't have anything that uses DX12, only have 1 monitor, never used Linux, i have the key to my Windows on my desk, Win8.1 also came with Windows Defender... Quote : "has nothing that improves MY day to day experience with the possible exception of DX12 sometime in the future"
4) WinXP is faster then Win98se, Win7 is faster then WinXP, Win8.1 if not faster then Win7 is more fluid (better multi-threading/less stuttering ?), Win10 brings nothing NOTICEABLE to the table unless you turn on gaming mode and even then it only works with certain hardware/games. This from overall gaming-wise performance and yes i know that part of it was from new versions of DX.

1) i have tried it from USB (downloaded original ISO) and from DVD (different versions), same issues with different update
3)only have 1 monitor,

1) next time give usb install a try, much less room for error than using an optical installation media, dust on the lens, micro scratches, finger prints, ect can cause all kinds of weird issues. DVD drive seems to be the only accompanying factor if using different iso's and having issues both ways. ive actually moved almost exclusively to pxe boot, i can do a fresh install of windows from installation media over pxe boot on an SSD in less than 5 minutes from initial boot to being in IE downloading chrome lol. optical disks are basically ancient technology by today's standards, I don't even bother to install dvd drives in pc's anymore way too many better options for storage. i do have one pc with one still just for the sake of being able to burn family members files or movies or something. or old games! i still need to get diablo 2 installed again one of these days :|

3) only having 1 monitor doesn't effect ones ability to use multiple virtual desktops, if anything it gives more reason to use them especially if you multi task. i have 3 virtual desktops at work, i keep my permit issuing materials open on one, playing around stuff on another, and coding stuff on another, pressing Windows Key + Ctrl + Left or right switches between the instances keeping you from having to keep minimising and maximising projects. also that windows key on your desk is moot next time you go to install on new hardware, especially if you forget to deactivate the previous installation beforehand. when i was running 8.1 i didnt disable defender and it didn't come on it, must have came in a later update.

Now Sir, Blu-ray is also optical, but I wouldn't call that ancient:eek: btw, I used brand new DVD with win10 downloaded from microsoft. I downloaded to a desktop, then copied it to dvd

Now Sir, Blu-ray is also optical, but I wouldn't call that ancient:eek: btw, I used brand new DVD with win10 downloaded from microsoft. I downloaded to a desktop, then copied it to dvd

i mean, its like 15 years old. lol you can go buy a thumb drive for 30 bucks that has more storage than a blue ray with far less chance of there being read / write errors and also faster more consistent transfer speeds.

i'm also not saying that every time you burn / read from a dvd its going to fail, but if you have an error with a dvd drive one time its very likely going to happen again, usually the best fix is to run to dollar general grab a $5 lens cleaner disk and run that through it, ive actually "repaired" dozens of dvd drives using this method, the lenses get dirty over time and introduce errors.

1) next time give usb install a try, much less room for error than using an optical installation media, dust on the lens, micro scratches, finger prints, ect can cause all kinds of weird issues. DVD drive seems to be the only accompanying factor if using different iso's and having issues both ways. ive actually moved almost exclusively to pxe boot, i can do a fresh install of windows from installation media over pxe boot on an SSD in less than 5 minutes from initial boot to being in IE downloading chrome lol. optical disks are basically ancient technology by today's standards, I don't even bother to install dvd drives in pc's anymore way too many better options for storage. i do have one pc with one still just for the sake of being able to burn family members files or movies or something. or old games! i still need to get diablo 2 installed again one of these days :|

3) only having 1 monitor doesn't effect ones ability to use multiple virtual desktops, if anything it gives more reason to use them especially if you multi task. i have 3 virtual desktops at work, i keep my permit issuing materials open on one, playing around stuff on another, and coding stuff on another, pressing Windows Key + Ctrl + Left or right switches between the instances keeping you from having to keep minimising and maximising projects. also that windows key on your desk is moot next time you go to install on new hardware, especially if you forget to deactivate the previous installation beforehand. when i was running 8.1 i didnt disable defender and it didn't come on it, must have came in a later update.

*feminine voice* Wagex honey, i know you're a good guy and are trying to help but for the love of everything that's holy please read what i write in full before replying *blinks fake eyelashes*

1) i said i tried USB and DVD - you tell me to try USB :D

Joking aside :

3) sounds good but IMO even for work 1080p is a very small surface to split-screen. Maybe with a 4K monitor ? or am i understanding it wrong and you can alt-tab between completely different desktops ? Windows Defender comes standard with Win8.1 (not sure about Win8), it's in the control panel but a different icon - switch to large icon view - usually bottom row, looks like a wall or a castle turret. One of the updates in the past 6 months or so changed the icon to the blue cross/shield you see in Win10.

Well, you do have a point there, Sir. There's a micro SD card on Amazon with twice as much storage as dual layered Blu-ray:D

Edit: Kenrou, you speak girl?:eek:

Last edited:
*feminine voice* Wagex honey, i know you're a good guy and are trying to help but for the love of everything that's holy please read what i write in full before replying *blinks fake eyelashes*

1) i said i tried USB and DVD - you tell me to try USB :D

Joking aside :

3) sounds good but IMO even for work 1080p is a very small surface to split-screen. Maybe with a 4K monitor ? or am i understanding it wrong and you can alt-tab between completely different desktops ? Windows Defender comes standard with Win8.1 (not sure about Win8), it's in the control panel but a different icon - switch to large icon view - usually bottom row, looks like a wall or a castle turret. One of the updates in the past 6 months or so changed the icon to the blue cross/shield you see in Win10.

1) sorry about that i totally read that as didn't try usb smh lol long day.

3) it doesnt split screen, it rolls onto a fresh screen where you can load up programs, hit hte hotkey goes back to what screen yo had before, hit it again back to how it was. toggle back and fourth between as many setups as you want. i really enjoyed this in linux and i was super excited it was in windows 10.

now that im doing a bunch of video editing for my channel its nice to work on that for a bit have all my stuff up on all 3 monitors, cousins hit me up for games *fresh desktop* load up games everything stays just how i had it, finish gaming , flip back over to video editing with source folders and everything just how they were across all 3 monitors.

I've never had any luck with M$' USB tool. I fake out the M$ site and download the .iso of W10 directly. So far I can install an OS without Daddy Bill or Uncle Satya holding my hand. *aims middle finger in the direction of Redmond*

Yes, I should have said that only the vast majority don't get anything new/useful from W10, aside from the very good point about Windows Defender. I automatically install MSE on W7, so I forgot it comes standard up the chain-like 8.1. Which makes W10 not unique. You do get the Edge browser ("Oh, boy! Another junk browser from M$!") and the satisfaction of knowing that your hardware was purchased to make life easier for M$. And the added bonus of M$ telling you what generation hardware you're allowed to have. :clap:

Having said that, my next build will more than likely be W10. It can (now) be eviscerated sufficiently for browsing and gaming. I think. Haven't tried it in a while and my storage drive is dying, which has forestalled my W10/FuzeDrive testing. I'll still keep W7 where I need Media Center, though, so even if I'm assimilated it will be in a very limited and specific ecosystem. It may be an OK place to visit, but I still don't want to live there.

I know it can be uninstalled from a rig, thus "unregistering" (deregistering?) the product key, but my disc is an OEM disc and I don't know if that applies to OEM copies. Technically, I'm not supposed to be able to buy OEM Windoows.

Back