• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I see amazing increase??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiffler69

ok u can see my computer specs in the sig. im using a ti4200 64meg ddr card now. i was wondering if i buy a ati 9800 pro or a sapphire 9800 pro will i see good increase in fps for games that i play now like AAO, bf1942, CoD, NFSU and well future good games that came out. if its gonna be a difference of like 10fps i dont want to bother spending that much money on a video card.

I'd recommend baring with that card for the moment if it serves you well. The new generation of cards are an amazing leap and I'd say wait for them to go down in price and buy an X800 or 6800, my $0.02.

it'll be a while for x800 series to go down in price, LOOOONG time, take a look at the time it took 9800pro to come down to the price it is right now. It takes at least a year if not two, and it'll be very difficult to bare with GF4 for another year. Yes I do recommend it, it'll be more than just 10fps gain, but probably around 15-25 gain depending on the things you run. just get yourself 9800pro, flash it to XT, and you'll have a nice 200 bux card that will give you 30-50% increase in performance.

Stiffler69 said:
ok u can see my computer specs in the sig. im using a ti4200 64meg ddr card now. i was wondering if i buy a ati 9800 pro or a sapphire 9800 pro will i see good increase in fps for games that i play now like AAO, bf1942, CoD, NFSU and well future good games that came out. if its gonna be a difference of like 10fps i dont want to bother spending that much money on a video card.

Only buy a new card if you need one. It's not a matter of getting MORE fps. It's a matter of getting ENOUGH fps to satisfy your gaming experience.

You might like to know that the new generation cards (X800 and 6800) can run relatively old games (or I should say games that use an old engine) like CoD in excess of 300fps WITH all the details AND AA and AF maxed out. That is extreme overkill. When it comes to the previous generation cards like 9800 pros and 5900s, they are not too much slower either and will still run the games you listed above at maximum details with more than enough fps for most people (100+ fps).

I would think that for the games you listed SPECIFICALLY, your Ti4200 is probably OK (except probably for NFSU). Now, I don't know what fps you are getting in these games, but I don't think it would be really worth it to get a new card unless:

1.) The fps you are getting is below the level that would satisfy you (this changes from person to person; while some people are perfectly fine with 30 fps, some like it higher for a smoother feel).

2.) You would like to be able to increase your IQ (no, not your intelligence, I am talking about image quality ;) ) without sacrificing your frame rate.

A radeon 9800 pro or a similar card is *guaranteed* to give you frame rates AT LEAST double that of your ti4200 with much higher image quality settings (unless you have a slow processor creating a bottleneck) BUT the point is, if you are already getting 100+ fps in CoD with your ti4200 (I doubt this, unless you are running at a really low resolution), then there is no point in buying a new card.

30-50% faster in raw speed with no eye candy and lowest graphic settings that is. With AA anf AF, it should be at least 300% faster.

it depends on what screen resolution you run at. i went from a ti4200 128mb card to the 9800 pro (flash to xt) and the change was HUGE. this was b/c i run my games at 1280x1024 and the 9800xt kicks butt at higher resolutions

oc_byagi said:
it'll be a while for x800 series to go down in price, LOOOONG time, take a look at the time it took 9800pro to come down to the price it is right now. It takes at least a year if not two, and it'll be very difficult to bare with GF4 for another year. Yes I do recommend it, it'll be more than just 10fps gain, but probably around 15-25 gain depending on the things you run. just get yourself 9800pro, flash it to XT, and you'll have a nice 200 bux card that will give you 30-50% increase in performance.

Or maybe wait for the x800 series to mature and the 9800 series to plummet in price, I'm talking 9600 prices. Anyways, I have said this so many times that I can't believe I'm saying it again. Flashing a 9800 pro to the XT BIOS doesn't make it an XT. OCing will do the exact same thing without the dumb risk of screwing up a BIOS flash or even a volt mod.

great info guys thx a lot. things are......

1) i dont think my processor will bottleneck this video card will it?? 2.4C had it runnng at 3gig stable but returned to 2.4 for now.

2) i do get like 80-90 fps in CoD, with AA and AF off its always off in my games, but i dont play CoD that much i play AAO a lot and the new SF maps get pretty bad on fps since i can notic the movement is slow motion and my eyes dont like that. also i think 1024x768 res is very fine for me as long as the graphics are nice and chrisp i dont need to go into the even lower resolutions.

3) the x800 series is way tooo much for me, and i dont plan on buying one cause dont have the cash for it, if i do buy a 9800 pro it will be sometime in mid july cause thats when i come back from my vacation with my parents. i can also get the 9800 pro for 299$ CDN at a local store its the ATI one tho but i dont trust this store i have a feeling its a 128bit memory interfernace one.

so what else do u guys say?

Tatuya said:
Or maybe wait for the x800 series to mature and the 9800 series to plummet in price, I'm talking 9600 prices. Anyways, I have said this so many times that I can't believe I'm saying it again. Flashing a 9800 pro to the XT BIOS doesn't make it an XT. OCing will do the exact same thing without the dumb risk of screwing up a BIOS flash or even a volt mod.

I think it's already proven if you haven't notice, that it does in fact tighten the memory timings and gives more performance even at the same clock speed. If you think there is no gain then where does the increase come from? Maybe your just repeating the same thing over and over because your being ignorant and not believing something that is already been proved to work.

You'll get A LOT more performance if you get a 9800 pro. The rest of your rig's not bottlenecking you at all. A 9800 pro would be perfect for that setup.

sweet, ill prob buy a 9800 pro just have to find the deals cause this deal at the local store for the 299$ CDN i dont trust them i have a feeling the ati 9800 pro is 128bit memory. so ill see maybe someone here wants to sell theirs, im alrdy talking to one dude

Stiffler69 said:
sweet, ill prob buy a 9800 pro just have to find the deals cause this deal at the local store for the 299$ CDN i dont trust them i have a feeling the ati 9800 pro is 128bit memory. so ill see maybe someone here wants to sell theirs, im alrdy talking to one dude

you may want to look in the forums here,
I have a feeling many will be wanting to sell their 9800's when they get in the X800s

I would sell mine for around 200 US, if I actually feel like selling it....right now its going into my second rig.....

You guys have problems... :)

I have a Asus V8200 T2, which is a GF3 Ti200 -chip with 64MB RAM and I´m doing fine with it. I´be never experienced any problems in games (though I havent tried Far Cry yet). I have enough frames in Desert Combat @ 1024x768x32 (never experienced any frame drops). It does 11500Points in 3DMark01SE, which should be fine for recent games.

There is a lot of potencial in your GF 4200... so clock it up to its limit and you should be happy with it for the next year..

nah i want a new card. ill buy the 9800 pro and after that maybe 512mb of ram and i wont be investing any more into this comp, ill be happy cause its gonna run games hopefully for a long time if not whatever i stopped investing into this computer and wont buy anymore stuff for it

I think this is the most logical upgrade you can make, and a 9800 Pro will suit you perfectly.

Droban said:
I think this is the most logical upgrade you can make, and a 9800 Pro will suit you perfectly.

Agreed, you'll get so much performance at decent price, I don't think there's anything to wait for other than mid-range cards taht will come out for the newer generation.

i dont know ill have to wait till i come back from Bosnia which im going there the 24th and come back the 16th of july and than ill pick up tons of shifts and buy this card. i for sure know that my system is going to run with a 9800 pro and i dont care if i have to work 24/7 to buy it. i can do it now but since im going for vacation with my family and i havnt been there since i was 4 years old i left now im 17 years and thats 13 years i havnt seen my dads parents cause of the stupid war that f***** that country up. and i cant just go out and blow 250$ right now, but once i get back.

true, the 9800 pro would give you a nice boost right now, but in terms how whether or not you should splurge on it right now, i'd personally give it second thoughts.

the ti4200, o/ced, can pretty much run almost any game right now, if you don't care about going about 1024x768 or enabling aa/af. I myself have had a ti4200 on my 2.4c @ 3GHz until just recently, and it seriously ran all the games i had fine.

my advice is to save up for a x800 or 6800...

Back