• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bit of a problem here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

help, i cant get logon without windows freezing, no matter which user i try to log on as, as soon as the desktop and icons show and the first tray items start to pop up i get a nice frozen comp. im running safe mode with network right now and everything seems to work, i tried disabling some startup services (in the control panel services thing) and booting without them launching upon logon, but i still get stuck! it must be some kind of startup app which is casuing this because safemode works....how can i fix this? or at least how can i locate the list of startup apps and disable the ones which may be the cause (i already did for services)

Hey Aphex_Tom_9
It does seem like a start up program is causing you these problems. IF you would like, send me a PM and i can direct you to where you can find this program called Codestuff Starter. I'd post the link here, but to be honest, i cant exactly remember where i found that program. I know what site it was on, but that is about it. IF you would like you can GO HERE and click on the link in the first post that says Useful Programs - A - Z. That is where i found the program. But if you cannot find it, just let me know.

Also, you might want to try a program called Hijack This (which can be dl-ed from its website HERE ) But use that program at your own risk, because sometimes you might accidentally remove something that is really essential to your system. So don't forget to back everything up!

Also, you can try using Spybot Search and Destroy. It also has a tool which tells you what is running on startup and how to get rid of it. And hey, while your at it, you might as well search for spyware on your computer, because sometimes its the spyware that crashes stuff.

One last thing. If you check your Add/Remove Programs list, you might find some programs that have been installed without your knowing, and that might be what is causing you the problem. I am saying this, because before i patched up my computer with different utilities, programs would have magically appeared in there, which in the end only cause my system to slow down, even crash.

Good luck with this problem!

Raven

use msconfig in safemode, go to the services tab and click the box to hide all MS Services. Then disable all remaining NON MS Services. try to reboot and see if it works.
Then you can also open regedit and browse to HKLM/system/software/microsoft/windows/curent version/run, make a backup and remove all entrys that you do not need. Also look in HKCU/system/software/microsoft/windows/curent version/run do the same.

Give that a try...

i decided to just backup all my personal stuff on my second HD and do a clean windows install, it's been a while anyway :D

Back