• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Gaming Monitors, 19" maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That PerfectFlat screen is great, I have the E92f+ (almost no difference, but this is silver so it fits with my setup. The view really is damn near flat, like a LCD, so there is very little distortion of image by the tube.

I recently purchased a system and had to go through the same monitor selection process you're going through now.

Samsung, Viewsonic, and NEC/Mitsubishi are all brands you'll be safe with. Here's a few monitors:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-119&depa=1 -- This is the monitor I purchased and I am VERY happy with it. It's two tone, so the color scheme fits perfectly with my other components (see sig). The front panel is nicely made, with easy to navigate buttons. i have played several games on it and again, i'm impressed.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=24-116-201&DEPA=1 this model is similar to the samsung one. it's two tone. in my opinion this monitor is pretty ugly though, the control buttons aren't very professional looking, and it is noticeably bulkier than the samsung -- the samsung has a sleeker slope as it goes back, this viewsonic seems more like a rigid box. now, to me, all of these factors were important. i wanted a monitor that looked very sleek at my workstation and the samsung was just better. now, about image quality. this viewsonic is a BIT more vibrant in color than the samsung. when you compare the two side by side you can tell the slight difference. when i went to computer stores to compare this viewsonic and the samsung, i noticed that the samsung seemed blurier, but i later learned that this was a misrepresentation. when you compare monitors at a hardware store you're looking at degraded images-- having several of the monitors connected from a single power source does this. once i purchased the samsung and set it up, i was very impressed by the vivid image and the sharp, sharp picture. so in the end, i chose exterior aesthetics over subtle differences in image quality and ended up with the samsung.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-220&depa=1 -- to my knowledge, this is one of the best 19" CRTs on the market. IMHO you're paying more money for a better image quality that you'll forget you had after 2 weeks of use.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-232&depa=1 -- this monitor has already been recommended. I'm not familiar with it really, but I've heard it's very good.

really, any of these 4 would be excellent for games. you CAN'T go wrong... the only real decision here was to get a 19" CRT, a flat screen, and buy it from a reputable company. since my 4 recommendations all fit those parameters i highly doubt you'll be disappointed with any of them... just go with what appeals to you the most.

As far as reliability and lastability is concerned, i've heard it all: samsungs last longer than viewsonics; viewsonics last longer than samsungs; samsungs have better warranty, etc etc etc... i'm pretty sure than any of the 3 brands i mentioned make monitors that are reliable and last long.

hope that helps :)

Does it matter if it's CRT, or LCD?

Because I'm using a 1600X1200 Dell monitor, and it works without a hiccup. Minus one 1 pixel line that was shot, that you can only see on a blank screen.

I second that Vio1. If the space is worth $300 extra (say, you're living in a super cramped dorm), then maybe, just maybe it'd be worth it =P after all, 19" crts are pretty big

Calculusaurus said:
Samsung, Viewsonic, and NEC/Mitsubishi are all brands you'll be safe with.

I belive all of those use NEC Tubes, which are very good, along with Sony Tubes, which are known to be very good.

Buying a monitor at a brick and mortar store is a good idea, because if something goes wrong, shipping on monitors is very expensive.

My buddy just found a company off www.pricewatch.com that sold him new Viewsonic 19" flat screen monitor that ROCKS for $186 shipped to his door! The thing is HUGE but it has the best picture I have seen so far.

Bump. The 955DF T/T is amazing. I have it, as well as a Samsung SyncMaster 170N LCD Display and they are both AMAZING monitors. The 955DF is crazy light for its size (45 lbs). If you can spare another $30, check out the 957MB. It is one of the brightest monitors on the market with its MagicBright feature.

EDIT: The 955 and 957 both have a 0.20 mm dot pitch!

Back