• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ir0nman

I have Fedora 2 installed on my laptop, and on friday I upgraded to the 2.6.6 kernal, and now Linux doesn't want to pick up my NIC. It was working fine in the previous kernel. Is there just something I need to reinstall? I'm a still a real noob at this...lol so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ir0nman

Did you possibly forget to compile in support for your NIC in the kerenel?

I would double check that first.

It is a xircom NIC, I didn't get to do any compiling, Fedora's up2date did the whole thing, I thought I would get a list of things that I would have to enable, but I got no such list, it just did it's thing, and I rebooted, unfortunately without any support for my NIC apparently.
Thanks for all the replies already,
Ir0nman

P.S. It's a Xircom RE-100 NIC, it was working awesomely with the 2.6.5 kernal before Fedora upgraded.

Well, in the short term, you can always switch back to the other kernel. up2date doesn't delete it. In fact, in my red hat install, it just added a menu option for it and left the old one there too.

You might need to load a module for it. I don't know what the name of the module for that card is. Try typing "lsmod" and see if a network card module comes up. If not, try modprobe and the name of the correct module for your card. It may just not be loading the module at boot time.

If support for the card is neither built in nor modularized, then you'll have to rebuild your kernel with support for it.

ok, I will take a better look at it today, thanks for all the help so far guys..... one day I may be l33t lol
Ir0nman

you may become 1337 quicker if you learn how to spell it right ;). and theres nothing like actually using linux to get good at it.

ROFL... I was at work, and some one came in and asked me a question while I was posting. oh well, my mind was only half there as was the word.lol Should be able to fool with the laptop as soon as I get off work, post back later,
Ir0nman

Everything comes up in the lsmod, but I still can't seem to get anything working, though it still works fine in the other kernel. Anyways, I have to run, over at the g/f's but I will betrying again tomorrow.
Take care,
Ir0nman

Did you recompile the modules to work with the new kernel? You can't just use the old modules without recompiling, it probably won't work that way.

what do I have to do to recompile them? Sorry I'm such a noob. LOL eventually I will get the hang of it. Just got to take the time and get used to it.
Thanks,
Ir0nman

It depends on the driver you're using. nVidia nForce chipsets require that you download the network driver from nVidia's website and build it OR turn on reverse engineered nForce support in a 2.6 series kernel and rebuild the kernel. The nVidia website has instructions on how to do this.

To compile the xirc2ps_cs (the one you want) driver into the kernel, first get a working custom kernel config. Then say y or m to the following options in the kernel config menu.
Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) ---> PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> CardBus yenta-compatible bridge support (NEW)
Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> PCMCIA network device support ---> Xircom 16-bit PCMCIA support

Since it's a PCMCIA card, you should compile the actual driver (Xircom ...) as a module. Also make sure to install the pcmcia-cs package.

Back