• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting the Zalman Passive NB heatsink in Intel 865/875 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hello!

I just wrote up a little article for the main overclockers.com site on how to mount the Zalman passive northbridge heatsink (ZM-NB47J) on the Intel 865/875 boards without resorting to permanent means like epoxy. The technique: making your own custom spring clip. Here's a copy of the article, while I wait for it to appear on the main site.

"Mounting a Zalman Passive NB Heatsink on an Intel P4 Board without Epoxy"

Introduction and Motivation

I recently started looking for a quieter northbridge heatsink to replace the stock heatsink. After much searcher and reading of web reviews, I found that the Zalman ZM-NB47J is a passive heatsink that is more than capable of properly cooling a modern northbridge heatsink, so long as the chipset does not have built-in graphics. In fact, some reviews (and see here and here and other links that I seem to have lost. :( ... ) have shown that this passive heatsink allows just as good an overclock as some active cooling solutions.

Thus, the Zalman heatsink seemed like the perfect choice. However, there was a snag: the pushpin-type heatsink mount was only designed for motherboards with holes surrounding the northbridge. (Read: Athlon boards.) Intel P4 boards, by contrast, have a bizarre hook and spring clip mount. Uh-oh.

The solution that most people have come up with is simple and elegant: use Arctic Silver thermal epoxy to permanently attach the heatsink. However, I have major qualms about permanently attaching anything to my motherboard (an Abit AI7). I believe that modifications to a system should be as transparent as possible, and part of that transparency includes being reversible. So, I decided to create my own spring clips for the Zalman ZM-NB47J.

Supplies and Tools
This is probably the cheapest mod you'll ever do. I bought 200 feet of 16-guage galvanized utility wire for under $5. (If you can find it in shorter lengths, it's even cheaper.) For tools, all I need was a ruler, a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters, and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Technique: Creating the Spring Clip
To start off, you'll need a template. Look at the template below in Figure 1.

Figure1.jpg

Figure 1: Basic template for the spring clip.

In the template, the longer side is 2+7/8 inches, and the shorter side is 1+7/8 inches. There is a vertical line halfway along the longer side. Along that line, draw two dashes 7/32 of an inch from each side. Lastly, draw two dashes 1/16 of an inch from the ends of both the longer sides.

Now, cut a 12 inch length of wire, straighten it, and line it up along line L. Using the pliers, grip the wire at point d so that the edge of the pliers are just below that point. Bend the wire 90 degree to the right towards point e.

Next, use the same method to make a 90 degree bend in the wire at point c towards point b. See the Figure 2 below.

Figure2.jpg

Figure 2: Spring clip after the first two bends.

Next, use the same method to make a 90 degree bend at point e into the paper. I have personally found that it is best to actually grip the wire about 1/16 of an inch inside from point e so that the wire exits the bend at the position of d. Make a similar 90 degree bend into the paper at point b. See Figure 3.

Figure3.jpg

Figure 3: Spring clip ready to make hooks.

Okay, we're now ready to make the hooks in our new spring clip. Using needle-nose pliers, grip the portion of the wire near point d that faces into the paper. Bow the wire out slightly towards point f. Then, move the needle-nose pliers along the curve and continue to bend the wire. Continue in this fashion until you have bent the wire in a gentle loop with diameter similar to a pencil. See Figure 4.

Figure4.jpg

Figure 4: First hook on the spring clip.
Do the same at point b, making a hook that faces towards point a.

Now, bend the two hooks at approximately a 45 degree angle outwards towards the corners. Trim the hooks off, and you're done. See Figure 5.

Figure5.jpg

Figure 5: The completed clip.
Note that you may need to experiment with the angle of these final bends and how far down you trim the hooks, to be conservative. You can always trim more off later.

Technique: Mounting the Heatsink:
Notice that one one side of the heatsink, there are two adjacent rows of fins that are shorter; this side of the heatsink should face your CPU. On the opposite side, there is one row of shorter fins; that side should face the AGP slot. You should wedge your clip along the center of the sink (There should be 5 fins on each side of the clip.) See Figure 6 to get a better idea of where the clip goes. See Figure 7 to see the mounted heatsink.

Figure6.gif

Figure 6: Close-up view of the ZM-NB47J heatsink.
Figure7.jpg

Figure 7: The ZM-NB47J heatsink with our custom mounting.
I found that there was no nead for any additional shims on the heatsink, as the core of the chipset is level enough for the heatsink to sit level on the core with a thin layer of Arctic Silver III.

Another thing that you can do is make an identical clip with the hooks in the opposite directions. In this way, you can obtain a complete mount that engages all four loops on the motherboard. I myself did this, as can be seen in Figure 8.

Figure8.jpg

Figure 8: The mounted heatsink with 2 clips.
However, I didn't find any real advantage to using two clips. The heatsink was quite secure with just one clip, and it was fairly difficult to mount the second clip on top of the first. I'd personally recommend just sticking with one.

Results and Concluding Remarks
The system, using the custom-mounted heatsink, maintained stability and the same overclock as with my stock Abit cooler. For reference, I'm using a Pentium 4 3.0C overclocked at 3.45 GHz at 1.575 volts. I'm runing 3 x 512 MB Kingmax PC3500 at a 5:4 ratio with 2-8-3-3 timings at 2.65 volts. Using this heatsink, I've been able to run 10 loops of Sisoft Sandra's CPU arithmetic, CPU multimedia, Memory, and Cache & Memory benchmarks. There have been no problems in gaming or folding, and I've been able to run several loops of memtest86 with no errors.

One thing that I would have liked is to have found a stiffer steel wire. This would have made a "springier" spring clip, but I was unable to find such at Lowe's hardware. On the flip side, this was most likely much easier to form.

On the whole, I'm very satisfied with the results. I have completely passive cooling of the northbridge, my overclock has been unaffected, and I can always choose another cooler later if I so choose, so I'm not locked into the current cooler.

Nice article and nice mod! :thup:

Just to add some minor info to the subject of non-permanently mounting a heatsink to a northbrige/southbrige/GPU. You can easily manufacture a type a clip just like macklin01 did, or you can take some normal thermal compound, and take a VERY small amount of white/clear school glue, and mix it in with ithe thermal compound. I suggest you do it in some sort of a dish or a lid to something that you wont ever be eating off of. If you use the right amount of glue, it should be enough to hold it, but definatly not enough for it to get stuck on forever or risk damaging the hardware getting it off.

One other tip I might add is rubberbands, I attached a massive heatsink to my 9000 Pro GPU with 10-15 rubberbands. The only problem with this is that they have to be maintained becuase rubberbands loose their elasticity after a period of time and can even break. It would not be fun having a large heatsink come crashing down on whatever is below it.

Anyways, im not trying to de-rail this wonderful thread, just adding some info :)

Nice article macklin!
-0cer
:cool:

excellent idea macklin! if i may i would recommend piano wire as it has lots of spring and memory and if you have a piano shop or tuner nearby you can likely get a used string (headed for the garbage)for nothing. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind remarks and good ideas, all.

Also, I'd like to mention that the setup is now successfully cooling a NB with 4 x 512 MB of PC3500 in duall channel mode, 375 MHz on the memory at 2-8-3-3, 2.6V. Since dual channel mode can be a bit more challenging on the NB, I take this as a sign of success. :) -- Paul

I got to do that, my mounting is kind of ghetto at the moment, I took out the clip on my stock abit and bent it to fit.

Bensa said:
I got to do that, my mounting is kind of ghetto at the moment, I took out the clip on my stock abit and bent it to fit.

Haha, not as ghetto as my duct tape and rubberbands :)

@md0Cer said:
Nice article and nice mod! :thup:

by nice mod, I meant nice northbridge/heatsink mod, not nice moderator, but you are a nice moderator too. :)
macklin01 said:
Also, I'd like to mention that the setup is now successfully cooling a NB with 4 x 512 MB of PC3500 in duall channel mode, 375 MHz on the memory at 2-8-3-3, 2.6V. Since dual channel mode can be a bit more challenging on the NB, I take this as a sign of success.

That is nice to hear. Good mods are nice, but good mods that serve their purpose and work are even better.

I had a bad mod that worked though, I just took some staples and used my home made thermal epoxy to attach them to my very hot southbridge. I am now running 37Mhz on the PCI bus without errors. I previousely only managed 34.6ish. I had no idea heat could be that much of an issue, but I guess it was. I also put an 80mm fan blowing directly on it too.

EDIT: I cant beleive I didnt realize how much this was threadjacking this thread. Sorry about this.

i used this same heatsink on my northbridge and was very disappointed on initial fitment ~~~ put a light skim coat of as3 on and went to check the coverage, only about 50% contact ~~~ had to lap it

Back