• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another 6800u, x800pro, and x800xt-pe review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i didn't want this to turn into another 'war'. the only thing the review is lacking is the 6800gt, strange how the x800pro keeps up with the 6800u with hardocp's real-world gaming benches. but other reviews using benches and playback demos show otherwise....

Nandro said:
Thats one of the weirdest reviews I have seen. I understand their concept behind the review, yet in some of the tests the show the x800pro is faster or handles better resolution than the XT. See the BFV for instance. Is it possible the XT is almost clocked over its limit to the point of diminishing returns?

if you look closely, the x800xt-pe is almost always at a higher resolution and higher AA/AF settings ;) i thought it was wierd at first too...

Yea, I edited my post after I caught that. I didnt notice it how it was worded, I guess because they are all n the same graph and sometimes with different settings. I imagine their reviews take some getting used to.

well they do give the apples-apples reviews later on...but they looked distinctly rushed and the intro to it sort of translates to me as "and for the scum of the earth that enjoy this sort of review, we have wasted our time for you"

but I think apples-oranges reviews are good, as they give better indication to what settings you should be expecting to use on each card to get it playable, and its that which you look for as well as the fps.

nice review though, my current XP2500 isnt the best ocer in the world so im just about to replace it for a XP2500-M, so should see those higher end framerates when my X800XT arrives :santa2:

The X800Pro at one hundred dollars less than the GeForce 6800Ultra was either matching or beating it in game performance.

and with almost 4 ghz at my disposal i second the motion...

mwuahahahah

theELVISCERATOR said:
The X800Pro at one hundred dollars less than the GeForce 6800Ultra was either matching or beating it in game performance.

and with almost 4 ghz at my disposal i second the motion...

mwuahahahah

That's insane. I am glad to see that my next video card will be an ATi. :clap:

ninthebin said:
....the intro to it sort of translates to me as "and for the scum of the earth that enjoy this sort of review, we have wasted our time for you"
yeah thats true, it didn't occur to me before. lol. i rather enjoy the apples-to-apples, its easier to gauge performance and compare the cards.

It seems also that at high resolutios with all eye candy on that these cards can be pushed to their limits. They did have to lower settings to get playable frame rates in some cases, so I guess we have room for better and faster still.

I'm so glad to see the [H] do another review with updated drivers.

I happen to like the apples to oranges reviews better then the apples to apples...
mostly because that's how we gamers set up our games.

example:
when running any game at first, fraps is used.
playing at settings that I'm sure would work, I base my thoughts on using a higher res (or lower) based on the min framerate I'm getting.

let's say I started playing farcry.
I set the res and the AA/AF settings (in game) and start playing...
every now and then I check the framerate (indoors/outdoors, lots of action, almost none).

is it dipping below the min framerate I feel comfortable with?
no? set the res higher.
yes? set the res lower.

let's face it, do we ever play our games at the cookie cutter, AVG framerate results, settings?
well, maybe if our cards can handle it. LOL

I'm sure pleanty of people here can't stand the apples to oranges reviews like what is shown here...
to each his own.

mica

P.S. just incase you missed it, brilinear filtering was used for the tests listed.

The bechmark seems to suggest that CPU hardly matters when it comes to high resolution + AA/AF gaming. Be it AMD or Intel. At least from looking at various graphs. This is very much like the recent CPU scaling article from FiringSquad.

But the [H] writer's conclusion is somewhat contradictory to what those graphs are telling. Also, 3 games and one of them (fs) already gives contradictory results to the conclusion.

Honestly... I have no idea how they have that conclusion with that data.

PowerK said:
The bechmark seems to suggest that CPU hardly matters when it comes to high resolution + AA/AF gaming. Be it AMD or Intel. At least from looking at various graphs. This is very much like the recent CPU scaling article from FiringSquad.

But the [H] writer's conclusion is somewhat contradictory to what those graphs are telling. Also, 3 games and one of them (fs) already gives contradictory results to the conclusion.

Honestly... I have no idea how they have that conclusion with that data.

I had to relook at all the tests to try to figure out what your getting at...
I'm still wondering.

I see a diff from the low end CPUs and the high end...from both AMD and Intel.

could you please explain??

mica

hardocps reviews are junk, playable is a subjective term and can be used to reenforce your biases. that site has lied about alot of the things in the past and has no credibility in by book ,anything that comes off that site is highly suspect to me .they also seem to be ati fanboys, if you have one review that totally contradicts every other review something stinks.

coldfusion71 said:
hardocps reviews are junk, playable is a subjective term and can be used to reenforce your biases. that site has lied about alot of the things in the past and has no credibility in by book ,anything that comes off that site is highly suspect to me .they also seem to be ati fanboys, if you have one review that totally contradicts every other review something stinks.
Yea, they're huge FanATIcs. :rolleyes:

NVIDIA’s new SLI technology is something that really excites us here at HardOCP and I bet there are more than a few others out there that have the same feelings. If nothing else, look at this early SLI warning as a nice mention from NVIDIA to start saving your pennies. Of course, NVIDIA’s desire here is to show you how your purchase of a 6800Ultra now could pay off big time six months or so down the road. And I have to say, if I were about to pull the trigger on a new ATI video card purchase that I knew would be for a long-time install, this NVIDIA SLI technology would certainly make me stop and rethink my position.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjMzLDM=

It looks to me like they are pretty fair in their assesments. I think they should have allowed beta drivers in the last test on the Ultra x800pro and XT-PE only because the average user who uses their site will get the latest drivers, not caring if they are whql. I dont know if the results would have changed, but I know I would have been using the latest drivers. It would be nice to see them include the omega drivers for ati. I know in all the time I have had my 9800xt and 9700pro I have used them 90% of the time, and I'm sure alot of other gamers do as well. Most gamers are very competent when it comes to finding drivers and tools that will benefit their gaming.

coldfusion71 said:
No flaming please, this thread was not made for trolling, nor for fanboyism so don't even bring it up.....

Nandro said:
It looks to me like they are pretty fair in their assesments. I think they should have allowed beta drivers in the last test on the Ultra x800pro and XT-PE only because the average user who uses their site will get the latest drivers, not caring if they are whql. I dont know if the results would have changed, but I know I would have been using the latest drivers. It would be nice to see them include the omega drivers for ati. I know in all the time I have had my 9800xt and 9700pro I have used them 90% of the time, and I'm sure alot of other gamers do as well. Most gamers are very competent when it comes to finding drivers and tools that will benefit their gaming.
yeah its not really fair that the used a WHQL driver for ati and a 'candidate' for NV, but it looks like ATI is holding their own. i don't trust any NV drivers until they are WHQL AND heavily scrutinized. remember the FX drivers and 3dmark...... thats why i like the real gameplay comparisons, its not a playback so cheating won't benefit

But how dependant will SLI performance be on your CPU. If the cards out now cant show their true maximum performance unless you have an incredible CPU then how will 2 cards do?

Back