• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK6 --> ALX 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David Coleman

I've been running an SK6 with a 7000RPM delta (on a rheostat) for a while now, and figured I'd try something different. I picked up a ALX 800 to run with my extra SmartFan 2's [led version] for 20 bucks from the egg.

First Impressions: Wow! Even with both fans @ WOT, the ALX is much quieter! I'm sure that's due to the fact that the 80mm SF2 is only ~5000RPM, and the Delta was 7k, but still...huge difference. All you hear is the rushing of the air, which fades away to a nearly unnoticable amount when the fan is @ ~75%. Initial idle settings before the AS5 sets in show a 5-6 deg decrease as well. I'm pretty pumped.

I've got it doing a 10mil digit prime now (before it goes back into just factoring), so we'll see how it fares under load after the AS5 burns in. But overall, I'm quite satisfied with this upgrade.

I figured this would be of interest since both heatsinks are in the same price range (SK6's go for ~20 on ebay).

Nope. The SLK-947U is $36.99 at svc.com The ALX-800 is one of the best 'bang for the buck' coolers out there IMO. I've even seen it on sale for $9.99.

Agree, the ALX800 is a great cooler when coupled with enough airflow. Hangs right in there with Thermalright's "elite" coolers.

With both fans wide open, the load temps are 8-10C lower with the ALX-800, and the idle temps are 5-7 degrees lower also.

Great cheap heatsink! :)

The ALX is also good for LAN computers because its light so you won't have to worry about any stress on the socket or motherboard.

Back