• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why doesn't my mouse shut off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radium

Here is my dilemna. Whenever I turn off my computer, the USB ports, and the mouse port, not the keyboard stay on, the lights still flash.

I think my power supply is to blame, but it may be the motherboard. The only way I can keep the lights out is if I turn it off from the power supply. BTW I'm running the 350W Power supply that came with my x-dreamer.

I'm waiting for my sleeving to arrive before I install my fortron 530. But I don't think that it will change much.

Its a normal thing. Mine does it also. Its a feature of the motherboard. On my motherboard there is a power led that stays lit also. The mouse and USB ports stay powered on for remote access I believe. I would'nt worry about it.

BTW if you run Folding at Home you wont be shutting off your computer. All of my rigs run 24/7/365 running the folding program. Its a for a great cause and wont harm your system. Check it out theres a link in my sig

NTM it is better for your computer to leave it powered on all the time... Starting the electronics up from dead cold are hard on the components - its better for the life of the components to leave them running and warm all the time.

if you disable "power on by USB" or similar features in your BIOS it might fix it. However, I agree with above posts, leave it on 24/7, and since it's on...FOLD.

Thanks for the answer. I've given it some thought to folding, but right now my computer runs like a tarmac launching. And I sleep in the same room. Maybe when I get some vantec stealths I can fold. I'm lucky the UV is pointed away from my bed though...

Well thanks for at least thinking about folding. As for the noise I have two rigs in my room and both have tornado's blowing. I have voltmodded one of em and the other is on a nexus multi controller so its not too bad. keep folding in mind for when you get things quieted down. Its a great cause and every work unit helps. Also the folks in the folding team section are great folks to chat with.

IMOG said:
NTM it is better for your computer to leave it powered on all the time... Starting the electronics up from dead cold are hard on the components - its better for the life of the components to leave them running and warm all the time.

I agree with you completely. I get asked by people all the time "Should I leave the computer on all the time or turn it off".

My answer is always the same "When does a lightbulb blow? When you turn it on or when it is already on?" That is generally enough for them to answer their own question.

radium said:
Thanks for the answer. I've given it some thought to folding, but right now my computer runs like a tarmac launching. And I sleep in the same room. Maybe when I get some vantec stealths I can fold. I'm lucky the UV is pointed away from my bed though...

sleeping room + x-dreamer (or any aspire case for that matter) = tired days

:D

i should know my room looks like las vegas all night
:-/

I thought about folding yesterday but my computers cant stay one 24/7 since i dont play for electricity bill and when you start getting 4+ computers in your house all running at the same time 24/7 things start to get costy...

Electron Chaser said:
I agree with you completely. I get asked by people all the time "Should I leave the computer on all the time or turn it off".

My answer is always the same "When does a lightbulb blow? When you turn it on or when it is already on?" That is generally enough for them to answer their own question.

Nice comment... The light bulb analogy is something I've never heard before, but it would be a great tool for communicating with the PC-illiterate. Thanks. :)

That is an excellent analogy with the lightbulb. As for the mouse not turning off, many computers have standby power to "wake up" remotely. For example, if I like to turn on my computer from my keyboard and I have a USB keyboard, it has to power that keyboard so it knows to "wake up" or turn on when I hit the power button on my keyboard. The same goes for a PS2 keyboard as well. Since the mouse it attached to the USB, it also gets power as well since the USB ports are still powered ;)

Msi. said:
I thought about folding yesterday but my computers cant stay one 24/7 since i dont play for electricity bill and when you start getting 4+ computers in your house all running at the same time 24/7 things start to get costy...

Actually its not that expensive. I read somewhere that a computer running folding at home is equall to a 100 watt light bulb. But when your not paying the bill I understand your concern. Also know that FaH does not HAVE to runn 24/7. A computer running 8 hrs a day can complete a WU in a couple of days and usually the deadline is more then a week.

My power bill went up by about $15 a month running my small seti farm 24/7. I don't mind because the computer is on anytime I want to use it for the net or to play games, and seti will crunch in the background while I do all of that. lol If you are worried about the cost you could run p/t as Tismedt suggested, as it is for a great cause. :)

Back