• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati Vs. Nvida

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sramjones

Disabled
I am lOOKing to buy a new Graphics card.

It is bettween the

Made by ati

x800 pro
x800 xt P3

Evga
6800Ultra
6800GT

I Almost always use Ati Cards but in thi selection, I am kinda stumped. I ahve about $700 to buy a new 19"crt and a new graphics card

I have a P4 2.4c overclcoked to 3.5ghz and 512 of Ocz pc4200 memeory. System si very fast, I just have a 9600Xt now and it doesnt seem to be enogh

I just want the best for my system

Just give me whats best for my money

/me applys flame retardent material to a shelter then runs in and waits for the gunfire....

personally I would get the 6800GT. I don't think the extra $$ is worth it for only 50mhz more when you could overclock the GT to that easy... then the rest can go towards a NICE monitor... but if you have $$ out of your butt and are willing to hand it out then sure go for the ultra.... I also think that PS 3.0 is going to become more popular in games than some people think... and we all love that eyecandy :)

But don't get me wrong! There is nothing wrong with ATI.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a hardcore gamer!
I personally see little difference between any of the better cards in windows, and there is no WAY I would spend huge money for the "bestest and brightest" cards from either company. :)

But I am posting some other info that may be of interest if you have any desire to mess with linux in the future.
If not, ignore me and go to the next post. ;)

I have been testing ATI drivers in linux and while they DO work, NVidia's drivers are much better.
IF you think you might try linux, and gaming in linux especially, I would suggest getting an NVidia card.

If you have no interest in linux...well, as I said, ignore this post. :D

Another vote for 6800GT. Nvidia won this round and some fan boys just can't admit it. (I know I'll get heavily flamed for this, but oh well).
As you'd expect, nvidia says PS 3 and DX 9.0c are the most important things. Ati says the exact opposite. That's common sense.
In real world, the GT seems the best bang for the buck. It can be easily overclocked at speeds higher than the Ultra with good cooling. It has all 16 pipes, unlike the x800 pro which is its main oponent. I know there is a mod for all 16 pipes, but I haven't seen too many people do it successfully. I, myself, am going to buy a 6800GT. I don't want to buy a 400 dollar card, and then when PS 3 shows up, buy another one. The x800 series are just 9800's on steroids. The x800xt might be alittle faster than the 6800 (just by a hair), but it doesn't have all the hardware support for PS 3 and DX 9.0c. It's just an angry comeback from ati. The 6800 ultra was intended to have 16 pipelines. As soon as ati saw that, they decided to build the x800xt.

I myself got a x800pro and am planning to mod it later, but I say both cards are just about equal. the x800 series doesn't have ps3 but the nvidia 6800's do. if you want to get newer technology, then get the 6800, but i say either choice is a excellent upgrade.

If you are buying this week I would say the GT from www.evga.com if they still have it. It is 399.00 USD and comes with a free copy of Far Cry.

If you aren't buying this week I would say wait and see what happens with the drivers and how the different features are implimented.

The last thing is after you get the new this round of upgrades over I would say save for another 512 megs of ram, your games will most likely play much better.
Cheers and let us know how your card does when you get it.

Nope.So for now its all wishful thinking, Oh Hopeing i should say.

Either card will do you Well. A good Monitor is Just as important too.

Harry

termin@tor said:
The x800 series are just 9800's on steroids. The x800xt might be alittle faster than the 6800 (just by a hair), but it doesn't have all the hardware support for PS 3 and DX 9.0c.

The X800's use a different core then the 9800s... there are no steroids involved.

Have you SEEN any of the benchmarks comparing the x800xt and 6800 when AA and AF are enabled?

termin@tor said:
The 6800 ultra was intended to have 16 pipelines. As soon as ati saw that, they decided to build the x800xt.

No I imagine they would have planned it. They don't just start applying superglue to video cards and attaching an extra 4 pipelines...

termin@tor said:
some fan boys just can't admit it

Bringing up the label "fan boys" is just asking for conflict.

When it really boils down to it, there is very little difference in overall, end user, gaming between the X800(xt) and the 6800. They have different labels, different terms, different packaging and options... but really when it gets put in your computer, and you play farcry on it, the difference between the two becomes personal preference. +-5 fps is really nothing to argue about.

My advice: Get whatever you get a better deal on. It's not worth the hassle to compare "microscopic" performance differences, - this card gets +2 fps in this operation, or this card gets -2 in this... it's repeditive and nonsensical.

Last edited:
termin@tor said:
Another vote for 6800GT. Nvidia won this round and some fan boys just can't admit it. (I know I'll get heavily flamed for this, but oh well).
As you'd expect, nvidia says PS 3 and DX 9.0c are the most important things. Ati says the exact opposite. That's common sense.
In real world, the GT seems the best bang for the buck. It can be easily overclocked at speeds higher than the Ultra with good cooling. It has all 16 pipes, unlike the x800 pro which is its main oponent. I know there is a mod for all 16 pipes, but I haven't seen too many people do it successfully. I, myself, am going to buy a 6800GT. I don't want to buy a 400 dollar card, and then when PS 3 shows up, buy another one. The x800 series are just 9800's on steroids. The x800xt might be alittle faster than the 6800 (just by a hair), but it doesn't have all the hardware support for PS 3 and DX 9.0c. It's just an angry comeback from ati. The 6800 ultra was intended to have 16 pipelines. As soon as ati saw that, they decided to build the x800xt.

I could not disagree with you more on just about everthing you've just said.

with the new patch for farcry (1.2), what you may have not noticed was that the patch not only increases framerate (without using the PS3.0 path) for the nVidia cards....
but it also decreases the framerate for the x800 cards by as much as 20%.
this is the only way the 6800gt even won a few (notice how I didn't say "all") of the benchmarks over the x800pro.

yet since the new patch also includes a bug for the x800 cards, there is no reason for the x800pro/xt users to ever use the new patch.
in that case, since IQ is still the same....
I'll stick with the 1.1 patch and beat out the 6800u cards in every test for farcry (the 6800gt has no chance now against my unupdated farcry...even with PS3.0).

a good read is located here.

with so many sites also making huge mistakes in how they benchmark, I'd take all reviews with a grain of salt.

everything else you've said is wrong or speculation and sounds very fanboyish in nature...I expected more from you.

mica

Last edited:
Back