• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 2.8c M0 just can't go past 245FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Maybe some of you can help me. I've set my DRAM ratio to 5:4 and tried to go anything past 244 FSB, but becomes unstable. I've tried all voltages up to 1.625v (anything past that is pushing it imo), with vcore, ram, and AGP. I just can't get it to go. I thought it was my ram, so i borrowed my friends pc4000 ram and tried to do it 5:4 and 1:1, still nothing. It just freezes up.

Basically I'm asking what could cause this, and how I can fix it.
Could it be my PSU? (it's only 350W)...maybe my motherboard?..

I've read all over that M0 2.8's can hit 3.8ghz, maybe even HIGHER, but I just can't get it past 3.4 stable, and it's kind of frusterating. NEED FOR SPEEEEED :eek:

Thanks for your help.

Temps:
Idle : 32c
Load : 40c

it's definetly not temps

Gat = AAADD, i've also tried AAAAA, and DDDDD, nothing

If it's bad luck, then i'll kill myself...
If the new PSU doesn't fix it, i'll sell it or something and go for a 30 cap 3.0c

DamienKC said:
If the new PSU doesn't fix it, i'll sell it or something and go for a 30 cap 3.0c

the 3.0C dont go very high, and mine started degrading at 1.6v already. take alook at the new 30cap 2.8C...they do very well

Did they just come out or what? And how do I know if it's 30 cap? Is mine probably a 12?

i hadnt seen / heard of any 2.8C 30 cap till last week when i stumbled upon one.

To see whether its a 12/30 capper, turn the chip upside down and count the number of resistors you see in between of the pins.

i think i am right in saying all 2.8 m0's are 30 cappers...mine definately is :) i think what you got there DamienKC is probably a later revision of the m0...btw what is your pack date? mine was one of the earlier ones famed for being great clockers. However the later ones dont seem to do the do. If i remember rightly to the average overclock on these is around 3.6 only some will do 3.8 plus. In my little experience every chip is different :D

I got mine in February 2004.

Pack date = 12/19/2003

Looking at the box, I found out it's obviously a SL6Z5

I still believe it could be my PSU or motherboard though.

Maybe it's not my cpu, i really need input on this.

My antec 350W is currently running:

6 case fans
Mobo :p
CPU
92mm Tornado
1 HDD
1 Cd-RW
fx5600
NIC
RAM

Maybe that's why i can't push it. I has to put out so much volts for each. 1.55v for the cpu, 2.7v for the ram, 1.6v for AGP, not to mention all of the other stuff.

What do you guys think? Is it possible that I'll get farther by getting a bigger psu? (as in, the Antec TRUE480W?)

It may be your 865PE chipset board. I have a p4p800 deluxe and it maxes out at about the same spot. Have you got an 875 board you can try your processor out in?

Try these BIOS settings

Dude, I have an IS-7 with an OC'ed 2.4C and had similar issues. Try the following changes to your BIOS:

in Advanced Chipset Features,

1. set the DRAM timing to 3-8-4-4 (the 2.5 is a killer)

2. set the Game Acclerator as follows:

AUTO
AUTO
AUTO
DISABLE (read delay adjust)
DISABLE (command per clock)

These worked for me although with your memory, you'll likely only get to around 253 or 254 FSB and still have the system pass Prime 95.

Good luck, ronaldj23

Big Stan : Minimum required = 327W...considering the ram voltage will be higher, and the cpu, I bet thats what it is...

ronaldj23 : My ram won't do any timings that start with 3 oddly enough, whenever i try it just makes a VERY loud beeping sound until i reset my bios. bahh, maybe a new psu + a ic7 or something.

DamienKC said:
I've read all over that M0 2.8's can hit 3.8ghz, maybe even HIGHER, but I just can't get it past 3.4 stable, and it's kind of frusterating. NEED FOR SPEEEEED
You might need to start preparing yourself for the idea that your proc is maxed out. It is true that there were some batches early on of 2.8s that did very well. But the current batches don't seem to do much better than their D0 brothers. It is not unusual at all for a 2.8 to max out in the 241~245 range. Of course, there are always exceptions. Keep in mind hte Intel aggressively bins their chips. Since they have stopped making the 2.4 and 2.6, that makes the 2.8 the bottom of the bin. Whatever doesn't work right get's dumped in that bin. So you never know what you are going to get.

But it wouldn't hurt to have a little stronger PUS.

my other 2.8C m0 couldnt go past 235 fsb on 1.65 pretty high for a low overclock but this new one i have hits 270fsb on default vcore not sure how stable but 3dmark ran ;)

Not sure where you've seen that 2.8C M0 steppings do 3.8+ gig. On average it's probably closer to 3.4 to 3.6 gig. Stick a fork in it, because it's done. The 3.0C seems to be averaging 3.6 to 3.8 gig.

Back