• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KeyboardCowboy

i was looking at a couple hard drive coolers on 2cooltek, and i figured that i could build one, just one question, which side would i mount it, on the top of the hard drive, or on the side with the circuits??

if you only have 1 direct it to the side with the shape of a circle poping out, if you have more, direct it to the front-end not bhe back with the wires. both work well.

Generally the Hd coolers are installed at the bottom, the side with the circuit, but in some Case I've saw fan in front of the hd, so the bottom and the top are cooled.

I hope it helps you :)

hello ,

If we are talking about a water cooled block mount it right over the bearing ( the side with out the electronics.

The pic is bad but i think you will get the idea. I have a 7200 rpm drive and it is cool and quiet via the block and rubber it is mounted in.

Billy

This is just my opinion. But unless your doing massive file transfers constantly. I don't really beieve you need anymore then maybe an 80mm or 92mm fan blowing over your drives to carry the hot air away from them. That should be more then sufficient. One again this is just my opinion.

Here is the pic, Its not that clear but you get the idea . There is neoprene under the drive and around the water block. There is just a smear of silicone on the top around the block. If I were to ever get the system below ambient temperature would prevent any condensation from getting away from that area. I am very pleased with this set up.

Thanks Billy

PS: actually now I need that water block for my video card ! I may make a custom block for the drive.

in my antec case there is a place for the fan right infront i havnt put a fan there yet cause i still need case cooling and a new heat sink and fan. cause i go to high school and i am poor

Billvill said:
hello ,

If we are talking about a water cooled block mount it right over the bearing ( the side with out the electronics.

The pic is bad but i think you will get the idea. I have a 7200 rpm drive and it is cool and quiet via the block and rubber it is mounted in.

Billy

I think the electronics side could do with some cooling as insurance -there's a reason why they slipped in a layer of foam between the PCB and the HDD's casing. There are commercial HDD coolers that just cools the PCB side only.

Most of the heat generated from HDDs is from the shearing of the air inside by the high-speed platters so attaching a large heatsink or many heatsinks anywhere around the HDD would do just as well -the heat is not really concentrated in the bearing. But don't overdo it; there's a reason why HDDs perform thermal calibration...

Back