• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought an athlon 64 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vod

Registered
Hey I just bought an athlon 64 939 system.
Heres the parts list:

Case: Coolermaster Praetorian (case and all the drives are black)
Motherboard: ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800 PRO 939 ATX
Power supply: ANTEC TRUE480
Optical: NUTECH DDW-082 8x dvd
Heatsink: CPU FAN A/I ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU + THERMAL PASTE OCZ ULTRA 5+
HD: Western digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 8MB
CPU: Athlon64 3500 socket 939 2.2ghz 512k L2, newcastle, Cg OEM
Memory: 1024MB 512X2 OCZ EL PC4400 550MH

I'm holding off on the new video card until after doom3 (should be soon )

I'm going to try to run 64-bit debian-linux as my primary OS. With 32-bit debian as a failsafe/comparison and windows if I feel any need. Good thing the nvidia 64-bit linux drivers are out.

very nice system, no doubt, a top-line performance PC at the moment. let us know with all the results and benchmarks :D
and of course, THE OVERCLOCK :burn:

hitechjb1: Why would you recommend the asus A8V? The 802.11g?

congrats..one killer rig you got their, i'd love to see what she can do :D

vod said:
hitechjb1: Why would you recommend the asus A8V? The 802.11g?

I am not recommending it, just asking :)

You bought it, I thought you may have some thoughts about them.

- Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nForce3 Ultra)

- ASUS A8V Deluxe (Via K8T800Pro + VT8237)

- ABIT AV8 (Via K8T800Pro + VT8237)

hehe ok, well I can't do any nforce chipsets since they don't provide specs to linux developers so the first board is out.
The Asus was more expensive and I didn't need the 8 channel audio or the 802.11g.
I've had great experiences with abit boards before (think celeron 300A's) so nostalgia contributed a bit : )

I've seen 939 system achieving 90%+ memory bandwidth efficiency.

Since you have good OCZ 4400 modules, which is rated at 275 MHz.

Assuming 90% bandwidth efficiency,
at 275 MHz, the effective bandwidth would be 7920 MB/s,
at 300 MHz, the effective bandwidth would be 8640 MB/s (doable for 4400 module).

For a typical 754 system, the effective memory bandwidth is around 3000-4000 MB/s.

Last edited:
hitechjb1: yes I really want to see what I end up with : )
BTW thanks for providing so much info on the athlon64 in your sticky topics. That was a great help.

From what I have read, they don't provide the specs of their hardware to anyone. So the DRI people can't write 3d video drivers and the kernel people have a hard time supporting their chipsets and all of their motherboard features.
They do release closed source proprietary drivers. But that narrows what you can do with your hardware considerably. Even worse is that if you have what you think is an unrelated bug caused by the kernel for example, the Free Software developers who would normally help you, tend not to because since they don't have the source to the drivers running your hardware they could be wasting their time looking for the bug in the kernel when it's really in the closed source binary drivers.
Some people do still try to write open drivers for their hardware but I think it lags behind. This being said, I have no first hand experience with anything other than their video cards and it may be that older nvidia chipsets are well supported.
The only way to find out is to try >:)

I would really like to see what that ABIT board does, I just built the 754 version of that & its a very good setup.

I will keep you posted.
"Your order is at step 4 of 5: has been packed is ready for shipping"
I was reading your thread and thinking the same thing. Because my mobo is using the same chipset as yours.

Also: Someone needs to add my CPU to the dropdown menu on the CPU database. That way I can add my O/C results >: )

Last edited:
yay

It finally came in and I put it together. Awesome system.
I installed debian linux 64-bit and played around a little. Man does it fly!
But the nvidia drivers hosed the installation so I'm going to try to put winxp on this later today. That will be good for O/C because it has abit's uguru stuff and all the benchmarking suites that everyone uses.

great

keep us informed...
need to see how well my system is gonna be.. getting it in a few week's time..

go AMD :attn:

so just a quick update:
I put the box together and it's really nice. It's blazing fast.
As far as O/C goes, I'm a bit dissapointed in my memory.
at 11x multi I was able to get the chip to 2.7ghz stable at idle. When I load it I see the temps rise and it poops out. It was closer to stable at 2.6ghz but the heat still caught up to it. It takes a lot of voltage for the cpu to do 2.6ghz semi-stable, BUT it does 2.5ghz at a little over default voltage so I stuck with that.
So I dropped the multi and tried to see how fast the memory can run. Now remember this is OCZ PC 4400, 2x 512mb matched dual channel pair.
Turns out the memory craps out at about 250mhz with high voltage and normal latency settings. If I crank the voltage all the way up to 3.3v and relax the settings the most, I can get 260mhz.
Right now I settled for 2.5 4 8 4 timings for the memory, 250mhz, 10x multi so the cpu runs at 2.5ghz.
The system is really fast, faster than an opteron 150 in the sandra benchmarks, but the memory benchmark only gives me about 63200mB/s or so. It's still faster than any other system listed for comparison, but if the ram were better..

Now I just need to get my geforce 6800 and I'll be ready for doom3 >:0)

What do you have the LDT multiplier set to, if it 1gz back it down to about 4x & see if that lets it do higher bus.

Also the chipset voltages & the LDT voltage can hold you back.

I had to cool the north & south bridge better than the factory stuff.

Took the north bridge heatsink & put it on the south & put a TT north bridge cooler with fan on the north bridge

hey thanks jess.
That helped a bit. I knowcked the LTD down to 800mhz and was able to boot with my ram all the way up to 290mhz. I wasn't able to get it stable past 270mhz yet though. Almost stable at 280mhz.
So Right now I have my rig running at 270fsb, 9x instead of 250fsb and 10x.
I'm going to try to tighten up the memory settings to since I have it at cas3 and 2T command rate. I think I can get it down to cas2.5 and 1T command rate. I may have to use uguru to give it more than 2.8v tho.

Back