• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dBA Calculations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daniel_dynasty

Hey guys I have heard that dba is exponential instead of lets say a 12v fan at 50 dba but if i change it to lets say 7v it wud run at 25. What is the formula to calculate the dba for a fan if i was to run it at a lower voltage?

I'm not sure if dBA is exponential, but there isn't one general formula for the noise output of all fans as their voltage lessens. Two 80mm Panaflo L1A's can sound very different from each other when they're both running at 5V.

Dba is not exponential, its logrithmic.
It can apply to many things besides sound (one example that comes to mine is measuring antenna power)

Im not sure what good a formula will do. The way to do it is to get a potentiometer and just turn thigs down untill you like what you hear (or dont hear).

dB isn't really a function of voltage, but more of rotational speed.

Rotational speed should be approximately proportional to voltage however, so making that assumption would be close enough. I'm not sure in accoustics, but in electrical signal analysis if you cut the power in half, you drop the magnitude by 3 dB. So, since power is V^2/R, if you cut voltage in half, you decrease power by a factor of 4. This would drop the signal magnitude by 6 dB. I'm not sure if that relates accoustically, but it's probably something similar.

Here is a good site that explains the decibel:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dB.html

thanks. one more thing. lets say i went crazy and bought a delta that did 200 cfm and at 50 dba. if i decrease the voltage therefore decreasing the rpm what will the dba be?

There's not really an easy way to calculate that. It's going to be significantly quieter, but probably still no less than 35 dB.

I would suggest you get some sort of simple fan controller so you can vary the speed/loudness to your liking rather than do a volt-mod.

hmm i c. is there any advantage of buying a loud and large cfm fan over a regular fan but you run them at the same voltage on a fan controller?

Well, the higher CFM fan will give you a wider range of cooling/noise levels if that's what you're talking about.

im saying if i buy a lets say 2 dollar fan as oppsed to a 10 dollar fan will there be any difference in noise, cfm and rpm when i lower then down to the same voltage using a fan controller

Back