• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hynix vs samsung on 9800Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Well, my old 9800pro with the samsung 2.8ns ram blew out last weekend, so I purchased another one. This one comes with the hynix ram, and I was wondering if the hynix ram is better or worse for overclocking than the samsung. Also the heatsink on the new 9800Pro is alot beefier and is attached alot better than my old one. They are both BBA's.

The hynix 2.8 ram is rated at 350mhz and the 2.5 is rated at 400mhz.... but don't quote me on this..... lol ;)

I got Hynix too. I got it overclocked to 413 CORE and 330 MEMORY. I have OCZ copper heatsink on it.

Is there any website that tells me the what the information on the memory is? Need to find out the speed on them. :)

sagitta85 said:
I got Hynix too. I got it overclocked to 413 CORE and 330 MEMORY. I have OCZ copper heatsink on it.

Is there any website that tells me the what the information on the memory is? Need to find out the speed on them. :)

Samsung Codes (credit goes to Junglebizz)
Hynix Codes (credit goes to dtadpole)

the Hynix on my 9800Pro128MB tops out at 347Mhz on the Ram.

i have to check what chips they are.

The first 9800np I got had Samsung GC2A (2.8ns) memory that will do 405MHz after I added ramsinks. But since that time I have tested 2 X 9800Pros with the same memory and one would do about 365MHz and the other 380MHz.
Never had one with Hynix ram, but from what I've seen on the Forums, it seems as good or even slightly better than Samsung for overclocking.

I've heard the Hynix is a little better too... although I'm pretty happy w/ my 9800 pro. It's got the 2.8ns Sammy, and will do 385 artifact free in 3dmark03... although about a half hour in FarCry will show a bit of artifacting... I keep it @ 380 on the vram clock 24/7, and it hasn't complained yet. ;)

I have the Samsung RAM on my Built By ATI 9800Pro 128 MB. Highest I have gotten the RAM in ATI Tool without artifacts was 381, but I keep it around 370 to be safe.

Oh yeah, I also have OCZ BGA Ramsinks attached, and the card has been flashed with the XT bios...

I've benchmarked my hynix ram in both 3Dmark03 and Aquamark3 at 390 with no problems.... I haven't tried to torture my ram yet since my ramsinks won't be here till tomorrow.

Back