• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Antec pooping out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

My rails on my 430w Trupower are starting to get really low. Look at the rails. These are the same reading I am getting in my BIOS.

This PSU powers this:
NF7-S
2500+ Mobile
9800NP
DVD Burner
Fan controller w/ 3 fans connected.
80GB WD hdd
Swiftech MCP600 pump

Now I took some reading with a digital mulimeter and my rails coming from the PSU are very close to spec.
+12v ---- 11.97v
+5 ------ 5.03v

I took these reading from different molex connectors as well as the main power plug for the mobo. They were all the same under load conditions.

The reason I wanted to know if this PSU is taking a dive for the worst is that when I OC really high my rails dip down as low as 11.73v and 4.89v according to the BIOS. I also get random restarts when the rails take a dip. If they stay high then I don't get a reboot. I can't find the limit of my hardware do to different reboot points.
I try to push 2.5ghz out of this chip and I watch the rails dive. I try for 2v on the core which allows me to make it to that speed normally.

Here is a pic of the voltages via Speedfan:

Attachments

• speefan.JPG
    speefan.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 284
Here is a pic of my system under load. Only CPU and HDD related taxing.
Cpu is at 1.95vcore in the BIOS.

I don't even wanna know what it would be like under video taxing but I may see and come back and report.

Attachments

• speedfan2.JPG
    speedfan2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 88
I don't think this is a PSU issue, especially since the rails seem to be sticking where they should be with a meter. More likely, the motherboard's regulators are having trouble keeping up with demands. However, it might be a good idea to inspect the motherboard's power connectors for discoloration if this started just recently - you might have a bad connection in the ATX or 12v connectors somewhere.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
it might be a good idea to inspect the motherboard's power connectors for discoloration if this started just recently - you might have a bad connection in the ATX or 12v connectors somewhere.

i have an antec true430 and i was having problems as well. i was getting some video flickering with my brand new 9800pro (no overclocking) and i noticed my 3.3v was really low (around 2.5v) so i checked the ATX power plug and i noticed that 3 of the connectors were all brown. i blew into the plug and into the socket on the mobo and now my voltage is around 3.1v. i still have some video flickering problems when my system is under heavy load.

is there any way to fix my power supply? is it just the connectors that are bad or do you think it's damaged internally?

If the connector on the board and PSU isn't melted too badly, it is possible to replace the metal pins and sleeves that make contact. This is ideally what should be done. If the connectors are melted too, they should also be replaced. Odds are the PSU is just fine internally - you just had a bad connection that caused the connectors to heat up.

This is really a job for an electronics tech, or someone who has experience with soldering on multi-layer circuit boards; however it may be possible to bend the metal sleeves in the PSU side of the connector closer together to make better contact. It might last you that way until you can get a new PSU and mainboard. You won't be getting the same connection as before, and it may cause some instability.

Back