• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A guy beats Half Life in 45 minutes!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol
nice - i remember back in the Super Metroid days on SNES - i OWNED that game!!! i am sure i had it down to arund 30 mins or less - heck this was like 8 years ago :) i lived and breathed that game!

ugh cant belive i watched that...you sure he wasnt using any hacks? some of the jumping he did was insane..

Meh, just bunny hopping. He might have used something to increase the effect of it, but doubt he used much more. He might have just done some good video editing and combined different clips of him trying, but it doesn't look like it.
If he doesn't hack, good for him. If he does, good for him again, that's some kickass video editing.
But then again, who cares? It's pretty entertaining, and he does seem to know the game as well as he knows his own fingers.

I put over 40 hours into that game the first time i went through it and then i coatched somebody else through it and he got done in bout 25 hours

good thing i got broadband ant freinds house lol i will see it soon

as i remember back i did play around with those giant fish alot

they gave me the creaps so i would throw remote detonation packs into the water and wait for the fish to surface next to it and then BAM usually took bout 20 mins per fish.

but it beats freaking out when you fall into the water and all you see are theese huge jaws of a killer fish.

i hated those things :)

ok i just finished watching it and I must admit that it seems as if it where possible but not 45 mins. I noticed a few scenes that where alittle chopped in the beginning to save a few seconds here and there and also loading times themselves would have added another 10 minuites at least. also i noticed rapid shakeing when he was standing still and the game looked a little sped up and he did legitimatelly skip some stuff by blasting himself with the lazer completelly into three areas ahead of where he was. I do admit that my mouth was open the whole time but there seemed like some missing stuff that i did not see OR maybe it was too fast for me to see.

the jumping he was doing was called strafejumping and from what i saw was all legit If you jump diagonally you will get to you destination faster than if you run straight and square.

the one and only problem i really say was the never setting off one of those lazer bombs he always made a little tiny hop over them which seemed inefficent to clear them.

that was really crazy when he had one life point for like an entire minuite while running around killing things was quite impressive. (i woulda ran to a health station even if it meant back tracking a few areas :) )

another thing I never thought of doing was using snarks to climb vertically up walls now that was impressive. :)

well I must admit that my 18 hour record dosen't hold up well to his but atleast I killed everything in sight lol.

I would say with the download times and the areas he skipped if he included those it woulda been like 1:20mins but still very impressive.

I wonder how many years that took for him to accomplish?

Sounds like another Super Mario video....the one that was faked. I'll have to check it out.

Man, that game took me so long to beat the first time. If this is real, this guy must have beat the game to many times to count

dicecca112 said:
anyone know where that super mario video was, that was entertaining allbeit fake, but entertaining none the less

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/moSMB3.wmv

It's fake. He used an emulator.

And that strafe jumping is also known as bunny hopping. You can still do it in Half Life... one of the cooler things. Too bad they took it out with counter strike 1.4 :( There were just too many exploits. There's also a thing right now (well at least the last time I played CS) where it doubles the effect of bunny hoping, making you almost fly through the map. It doesn't look like that guy was using it...

Well, bunny hopping was one of the reasons why so many hated counter-strike, too. I haven't played in months, but I know bunny hopping is gone. You sort of slow down after you land every jump, completely eliminating the 'bunny-hopping' effect.

fl0w said:
Well, bunny hopping was one of the reasons why so many hated counter-strike, too. I haven't played in months, but I know bunny hopping is gone. You sort of slow down after you land every jump, completely eliminating the 'bunny-hopping' effect.

Yeah... it's been gone for a good 2 and a half years now :eh?:
I knew a server where it was allowed. Don't remember it though. It was a really long time ago. But still, if you jump in circles, you gain speed, and if you can get out of the circle, you're bunny hopping, or at least the effect of slowing down isn't so great for a while. Bunny hoping now requiers great skill, but it is not impossible.

Ehhh... good times. I remember those sleepless nights, spent playing Counter Strike... well all fps's were fun until I decided I needed a beefier system for Doom 3 and HL2, and I completely stopped playing any games :cry:

i just finished watching it.. these are my impressions: the guy played the game way too much... he cut pieces together (would do a section well and would combine it with the next section so that it flowed correctly.. its definetly a bunch of segments put together..

It was a nice review of the whole game though.

Too much editing for my liking. Though the ingenuity on how to blast through levels was awesome :D I especially loved the snarks and him jumping onto the edge of levels.

JigPu

Back