• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XLR8

Hey Guys, this is my first post and I am pretty much a newb at pc building, so please treat me gently, LoL:) I am in the process of basically rebuilding my pc, which had junk innards. I started off with a Gigabyte 81K1100, and need a little help deciding which CPU to upgrade to. I currently have a 2.4 with a 533 FSB. I was thinking of going with something like the Northwood 3.0 800FSB. Would i notice a good gain from this chip without OCing, and would this board, cpu combo be a god candidate for OCing. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

As an aside, I also need to upgrade my video card from an ATI 9600, and more than likely my generic RAM( have a gig of ddr, but only 2100) Any reccomendations here would be great also. Have a great night.

Since you are still learning how to build computers and how to overclock, I'd just use your current CPU and RAM with the new mobo and see what happens. Should be a good learning experience and you might get a decent overclock from that 2.4B. The RAM will work fine with that CPU too. If you are a gamer, that will leave you more cash for a vid card upgrade. The 9800 Pro would be a good one if you are on a budget or if you can afford the best, the X800 XT will be available soon.

Thanks guys, that is a great idea, and that is definitely what I'll do. Have a great day, and thanks for the help:)

Back