• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem Running UT and UT2k3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok I was playing through UT2004 today and was all heck I wanna play some regular UT. So I installed UT and all but when I run the game I get the hour glass then it goes to a spinning CD icon. Then after like 10sec the icon goes back to a normal mouse icon. I installed UT2003 and it does it too... UT2004 tho works fine. So UT and UT2003 dont work period while UT2004 works fine. Any ideas?

I am running it on the rig in the sig but I now have 1GB ram. Also I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 (most recent version), I also just downloaded the new catalyst drivers too. Could this be a prob with the new vid card driver or no?

This sounds very odd.

My first piece of advice when dealing with Unreal games is to delete (or just move) the User.ini and the UT200X.ini files, then try to start the game again.

Although, with the 2199 patch for UT2k3 and the... 436 (? maybe a few numbers off) patch for UT the disc shouldn't need to be in the drive to play. I don't remember it ever showing the CD icon mouse cursor thing after installing those patches for the respective games.

I got the latest (lol, it came out ages ago) patch for UT which is the 436 patch. I tryed it w/ and w/o the cd and it still does that. I will try the UT2k3 patch and moving the files like you said. Also, could this be a compatibility bug/prob with SP2 since SP2 isnt finalized and there still may be errors w/ it.

Can someone whos running Win XP Pro w/ sp2 try to install and play the games? I want to know if its SP2 or my comp, but I prefer not to take the time to remove and redownload SP2.

Well I got UT going. I am running it in compatibility mode for Win 98/ME. This leads me to belive its SP2, but I dont know for sure. Has anyone had this prob?

It runs fine for me on a Non SP2 XP machine at home, it 2k3 and 2k4 so I am led to believe SP2 is screwing something up for you. I never recommend running beta SP's EVER. They have been known traditionally to lead to alot of issues in the long run down the road.

J :cool:

Well I am prolly gonna go back to SP1 because this is rediculous.

@ColtIce- I cant even get to where it lets me do the original config where you click your vid card setting for DX or software. I also have the original verion but I updated it, so maybe GOTY works a bit better w/ the sp2... :/

It doesnt even give me that option... The mouse goes to the hourglass and the disk spins up in the drive then it all just stops basically. I dont see anything on the screen, just my desktop like I didnt run anything.

Also, I unistalled SP2 w/ control panel cuz I had it backup files on install so I could get rid of it if need be. Well it seems to have hosed my install! Ugh. This totally sucks. :/

Oh, I forgot about that button. Oh well seeing as I cannot even use my main comp... I slipsteamed my XP Pro cd for SP1 and will reinstall the OS. Hopefully my prob will be gone like it was before.

Back