• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ EB gone, whats next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rack04

Now that OCZ EB 2x512mb is geting harder and harder to find what is the next best thing? This ram needs to be a good overclocker as it will be used with a 2400+ 35 watt Mobile on a NF7-S.

i dont see much more in the ddr world. seems most r&dand develpment is going towards the ddr2. maybe u want to try some bt/d43 chipped memory it will run very hi fsb with loose timings....

flapperhead said:
i dont see much more in the ddr world. seems most r&dand develpment is going towards the ddr2. maybe u want to try some bt/d43 chipped memory it will run very hi fsb with loose timings....

Can you elaborate on which modules have these chips?

kingston valuram pc3200 -pc2700 /adata pc4000/ hynix pc3200 originals. most of the pc4000/4200/4400 has some form of hynix bt/d43/ctd43/ d5 chips.. all will run 250+

the hynix chips mentioned b4 will do 250+ but not at tight timings.also u have to find the correct chips on the valuram-they put all different kinds on their pc3200.the only chips that will do 250 at tight timings is modules with bh5/6 chips and thats is only the best at 3.2 volts. also the ocz eb pc3700 will do fairly tight timings at 250

Whats next? Hrm. BH-6,TCCD,CH-5/6, and Hynix seem to be all we have left.

Some to keep an eye on are:
Buffalo Firestix
Crucial Ballastix

I've got 2x512mb of PC3200Eb, xp2600-m, and nf7-s v2. With 2x512 of anything you're not ganna get very high on the FSB because of a bug with NF2 chipsets and CPC. You can get 210-215mhz with CPC enabled. With it off you can get higher, but it does hurt performance, so you will find that you will just be evening out, unless you go above 235.

rack04 said:
Now that OCZ EB 2x512mb is geting harder and harder to find what is the next best thing? This ram needs to be a good overclocker as it will be used with a 2400+ 35 watt Mobile on a NF7-S.
don't worry this stuff will be back soon

Do you think DDR ram is going to get worse or better for overclocking with time. It seems that good chips come and only stay a while before getting replaced with cheaper chips that do stock speeds the same. Like with the BH-5/6 getting replaced with CH-5/6. Is there really any more improvement left in the DDR world now that DDR2 is happening.

May I wax nostalgic about BH-5 (sniff)? People should hang on to them. Case in point: testing a new NF7-S I got from Newegg two months ago. I have my 2x512 MB XMS3500 running 223, 2-2-2-5, DC, CPU Interface enabled. Sandra mem is 3402/3202. And get this: the board is unmodded with OEM BIOS.

There's nothing like good quality BH-5 from the old days. It has run everything from 250, 1:1, 2-2-2-5 at 3.2 volts on the Epox boards, to 307, 3:2, 2-2-2-5 on the Asus boards, to 223-228, 2-2-2-5 on the AMD boards. And I'm talking 2x512 MB sticks. Hell, the ones in my NF7-S now are the worse of seven sticks I have stockpiled over the years! Hard to believe I picked up this ram almost two years ago.

I have tested maybe 20 P4/AMD motherboards over the last 2-3 years. Nothing runs so universally well on various motherboards as quality BH-5.

rack04 said:
Can you elaborate on which modules have these chips?
if u have a local costco near u 75% chance u can find pc2700 with the bt-d43 modules on them for 139 canadian for a 512 stick and they should run 250 fsb good luck hunting :)

Clevor how did you get 2x512 running at 223? I can't even get 215 stable right now. What BIOS, cpu, and burnin procedure are u using?

I'm having trouble getting this 2x512 of PC3200EB to work on this board right. I've tried cpc disabled bios's also but they only got me to 220mhz, which pretty much just makes up for it being disabled.

ap673 said:
Clevor how did you get 2x512 running at 223? I can't even get 215 stable right now. What BIOS, cpu, and burnin procedure are u using?

I'm having trouble getting this 2x512 of PC3200EB to work on this board right. I've tried cpc disabled bios's also but they only got me to 220mhz, which pretty much just makes up for it being disabled.

Remember this is with the XMS3500. I am doing nothing special. I got the same or maybe slightly better overclock on my first NF7-S I got over a year ago. I use a good power supply: Sparkle 400 Watter, untouched pots. I have a 120 mm fan blowing over the ram. I am doing a baseline before I go with a copper insert sink/fan over the NB, fan/sink over the SB, TicTac's BIOSs, and L12 mod. I dare say the board has promise :).

Other than that, running 1.6 VAGP, 1.7 VDD. I am using the Abit BIOS that came with the board, 12-2020 or something. The old board overvolts VDIMM to 2.96, this newer board does 2.94. The rails are better: all over spec except the 12 volt due to all my fans.

The only problem is the newer board has that damn shutoff problem with the high/low siren that has something to do with the temp probe behind the CPU. I would return the board to Newegg otherwise but I prefer to have it fixed since the board has potential.

Back