• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOA Antec?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghettoliscious

Registered
So I ended up getting the Antec True550 :attn: (without the fan/pot controller) and plugged it in. Seems to work great, but I went to check voltages and Bios on my P4PS800D-E reads:

Vcore @ 1.553V
3.3 @ 3.280V
5 @ 4.945V
12 @ 11.795V

Yet MBM5 reads the 12V as 16.32V??? :confused:

Never really had any problems with MBM5, and even tried reinstalling it/updating bios.

Is this PSU borked or something? Another thing that concerns me is that the fan for it is spinning at 1041 RPM and sets off my low rpm alerts. I know the Antec True550 has the whole "low noise technology", but is such a LOW speed a problem? o_O

(I guess it's two questions then)

I would leave the fan speed thing - the PSU will have a built in function to adjust the fan speed as necessary. As for the rails I would tend to beleive the BIOS, but the best way to check would be with a multimeter.

Was just worried that the rails (especially the +12V) were loooooowwwww, esp compared to the Antec True430 that the new one replaced.

Everything looks ok to me... check with a meter instead of MBM or BIOS.

Ghettoliscious said:
Is this PSU borked or something?

Ohh, so totally borked. Actually, it could even be your 120v (or 240v) source from the wall that could affect it. Most people don't realize it, but most powergrids aren't exactly running at peak operational effeciency. Regardless, those BIOS figures are all less than 2% out of spec. You can't make a claim on the warranty unless its over 5%...

Chances are the default fan alarm settings are for a normal 60-80mm CPU fan, not a larger silent PSU fan. Its no doubt a 92mm fan, meaning at 7v it can run that low of an RPM and still be able to spin-up upon startup. FYI a 20dba Vantec Stealth 92mm fan @7v is 1020 RPM.

edit: I feel I should add that the 16v number is completely wrong. If there is any sensor that's made for 12v that's picking up 16v, it should have already fried something. Don't trust software - trust a multimeter.

Excellent! I'm on my way to get a multimeter... just need to track down a place that has a decent one. Wasn't sure which fan it was reading the spead of, because you're right... there is a 92mm fan on the bottom of the psu, while there is a 80mm fan on the back. Thanks for the quick replies! I'll keep everyone posted

~~Ghetto

Wow... what a relief!! :D

Just bought a decent multimeter... tested it out on the 20pin & the molex

Non load came out as:
3.3V @ 3.335
5V @ 5.01
12V @ 11.91

(no fluctuations)

Load came out as:
3.3V @ 3.330
5V @ 5.00
12V @ 11.90

(no fluctuations)

Was playing a dvd, had a few web browsers with flash running, an .avi on windows media player, downloading software to each of my 5hdd, and was playing Unreal Tournament 2004... with no problems or lag.

Hooray for real results!

Back