• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 doesn't support HT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Intel recommends Hyper-Threading Technology† for systems with Microsoft* Windows* XP Professional and Home versions or certain versions of Linux*. These operating systems support and have optimizations for Hyper-Threading Technology. Service Pack 1 (or higher) for Windows* XP must be installed to ensure full support for Hyper-Threading Technology. Certain versions of Linux will need to be updated (with available patches), in order to ensure support Hyper-Threading Technology.

Other operating systems such as Microsoft* Windows* 95, Windows* 98, Windows* 98 SE, Windows* NT 4, Windows* 2000, Windows* ME, and OS/2* do not support Hyper-Threading Technology for Pentium 4 processor-based systems. When using any of these operating systems, Hyper-Threading Technology must be disabled in the BIOS settings to ensure proper compatibility with the Pentium 4 processor (See Hyper-Threading Technology Setup and Integration). For Intel® Desktop Boards, Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled in the BIOS settings by default. Ensure you check the BIOS default setting prior to installation of the operating system.

I got Windows 2000 with SP4 or Windows XP without SP1 which would be better if any?

For HT XP will be better, in 2K it works, but apparently not so well... I'd go with XP for HT.

nikhsub1 said:
For HT XP will be better, in 2K it works, but apparently not so well... I'd go with XP for HT.

Nikhsub is right. I have systems running noth 2000 and XP. The XP is optimized for HT, but 2000 does work. Microsoft wants you to run out and buy XP if you have HT.

If you don't have SP1, follow this link and download all the updates you want. I burned them to a CD, so if I ever reformat, I don't have to spend all that time downloading again.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

That linky is very handy Batboy! I'm Dutch and about the only one in my circle who uses US-English Windows versions so I'm gonna download them all and store them on CD. Thanx!

Back