• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys think about this Aspire PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dunno, They didn't bother giving too much in the way of spec's. All the important things like output rail amps and such. I guess if your going for looks, thats not important. I'd find out more if I were you.

Well, checking the other PSU's with the same model number just different color I noticed this;

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=17-148-009

Quote;

"I had a hard time deciding to buy this power source, because specs were hard to come by. Some might find these useful:
Maximum current:
+3.3V -- 28A
+5V -- 30A
+12V -- 34A
-5V -- 0.3A
-12V -- 0.8A
+5Vsb -- 2.0A
Combined maximum load on +3.3V and +5V is 200W
Combined maximum load on +3.3V, +5V, and +12V is500W
Total maximum load is 520W
Compatible with ATX12V 2.03, meets the ATX12V form factor

Mine came with 8 peripheral molex connectors (for hard drives, optical drives, fans, etc.), 2 floppy drive molex connectors, one 12V connector (4 pins arranged in a square) and 1 atx motherboard connector (20 pins)

Comes with short circuit protection, and excessive current protection; the manual seems to imply this is the case for each individual line but leaves out the details. The fans' speed can be adjusted via a knob in the back, from full power down to 80% power. At full speed, it's slightly louder than my CPU fan. However, noise is greatly reduced with just a little slowing of the fans. Same case and cpu temperatures as with my old 2-fan supply.

The power supply seems to be well built, no poorly-fitting pieces or shoddy workmanship as far as I can see. When installed properly, with one fan down, the writing on the back is upside down on my unit. Hardly a problem, unless you really, really want to read which direction to turn the fan speed knob.

My previous 420W power supply burned out despite the fact that my system only uses up about 250-300W. After doing a little homework, I found out that older processors ran off the 5V rail, but newer processors use the 12V rail. Still, many power sources today have very weak 12V rails and most of their brawn is used for the 5V rail. This power supply has ample oomph for average computers, and can probably support more power-hungry systems too. Since I've had this power source for only a few days, I can't comment on reliability.

Cables are wrapped in green fluorescent netting for neatness, fans have blue lights - if you care about aesthetics." - joe

-------

Others also mention the "34amps on [The] 12v [Line]"

I'm not sure how much you can trust that, but I don't see much reason not to buy it and atleast try it out if you don't like how it performs send it back.

Worst that I see happening is you losing 5-10 dollars shipping.

Back