• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Mobile 2400+ Running hot and Shocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

likeike

Registered
When I touch the CPU block cooler its a cheapy I got for the old lady computer. I feel a slight tingly, like it is drawing current and shocking me. Is this normal? My p4 does not do this. And also it runs at 70C 73C is max though. It is a CPU MOBILE AMD|2400+/266 ATHLON,MB ASUS A7V8X-X/LAN KT400 RTL, DDRAM 512M|PC-3200 99109MUSHKIN R, CPU FAN SPEEZE|5T321B1 MFII AMD RTL

I know its a cheap setup but It does the job. Also inside Asus Bios I have it set to the lowest CPU voltage possible. I will have to look to get exact figures.

Thanks

welcome to the forums!!!

this is not normal... you should feel the heat from the cooler but not a shock. you might want to check under the cooler to see if maybe something is hitting a trace or connection. perhaps too much thermal grease?

Thanks for the Welcome.

Well now it shocks after pluging it in and turning on the powerstrip. I reseated the CPU with the directions that 1st gave me Thanks!! Now when I turn it on it shuts off after a minute of operation. My guess its a bad powersupply?? I checked all of my connections to everything and it all looks good. No burn marks anywere. So I'm just going to leave it alone untill I get a new one. That means the old lady has to use mine NOOOOOOOO!!!!! LOL

Ohh yeah one other thing In Bios I can not set the CPU voltage below 1.6.. That is the lowest option it will go. What is up with that ???

desktop bartons run at 1.65... so most stock bios won't accommodate mobiles at default settings.

So what do you think about the shocking situation and it shutting off? You think it is some kind of protection tripping it or something? I did not know about the 1.65 thing. Thanks

73 DEGREES!! OUCH :mad:

Man, I'd be worried more about your temps. What are you using for cooling? a hampster wheel?

What about you CPU fan shorting out to the heatsink, or any other fan shorting for that matter. That aint right something is wacked to cause that. Could be PSU but it would be cheaper to make shure nothing else was the cause first. The fans can short internally it happens a lot, or one of the wires being pinched.

I chased all the wires they are good. And the fans work So not sure about them shorted out. Why would it shut off after 2 minitues though?? Do you think its the power supply?

ok, nobody has mentioned the obvious....so.......it sounds like you've got a short somewhere. Make sure that your mobo is properly grounded and that you've used your nice little paper washers between the screw and the board and the board and the standoffs. Make sure your wires are insulated with no breaks and aren't "live" when you touch them. Make sure there is no metal to metal contact with the heatsink, Make sure none of the pins on the drives and board jumpers are bent and touching etc.....if you understand electricity, you get the point.

You won't be getting a detectable shock off 12V, or even 24V, so my guess would be that ground is floating too high. This is caused by a bad PSU or power cable. You should also be getting a shock from the case as well ...

likeike said:
I chased all the wires they are good. And the fans work So not sure about them shorted out. Why would it shut off after 2 minitues though?? Do you think its the power supply?

Welcome!

Its shutting down cause of C.O.P. (CPU Overheat Protection). I don;t think you have that heatsink seated properly. Check that and your thermal paste. With that HSF you should be at lost 50 idle.

As for the shock, you may have a ground fault in your house or something.Why not take a multimeter to it?

I firgured out the Shocking issue. I had to go get a new german mad power cable since I'm over here in Germany for now. I guess it did not have a good ground. And I will be ordering a new fan and block to try to get my temps down. I reseated it twice I still have the same temps Ohh well Its a cheap fan and block anyways. Only reason I got it was because my old lady wanted something that was quite. She did not want something that souded like a jet takeing off like mine does!! :) Thanks for all your guys help. This board is pretty sweet alot of knowledge around here!!!

Good luck. keep us updated on the temps, I'm curious as to why they were so high with the HSF reseated correctly.

Back