• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of a CPU upgrade...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkblitz05

Guys, I am planning to get a new CPU upgrade because my board and CPU and RAM is kinda dying.

I was thinking of getting the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x or Ryzen 5 3600 <---- I need some help here what to decide :confused:
The purpose of the CPU is it is not just only for Gaming but also for rendering some video projects.

Im kinda new with the Ryzen CPU's, so its a bit tricky for me transitioning from FX to Ryzen :confused:
Enlightening me here would really be a big help.

SSD = ADATA SP900 128GB (reusing it from my previous build) / Probably going to upgrade to m.2 ssd
Cooler: IDCooling Zoomflow ZF 240X
MOBO: Asus Prime x570 P/CSM (not pro) (does this need change if I go 3600?)
RAM: 16gb (dual) DDR4 3200 G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL16 1.35v not sure also about this one (probably making it 32gb)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6gb (reusing it from my previous build) (does this bottleneck my CPU or the other way? :confused:
PSU: SilverStone SST, Strider Essential 700w <---- I need also help from this PSU, kinda having doubts about it if it goes well with the build that I am planning
Case: Tecware Alpha TG

VS my old BUILD...

was really working well but later mobo and ram started to die.
kinda hard already to find AM3+ boards

CPU = AMD FX 8350/ 4.1ghz
SSD = ADATA SP900 128GB
CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i Hydro Series
Mobo= ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
RAM = G. SKILL RipJaws X 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1866 CL9
GPU = GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
PSU= Cooler Master GX 550W
Case= Thermaltake V3 BE

I would really appreciate it again guys if you could help me plan this out and choose the better things.
My previous build was because of this forum and it was really a big help in getting the best parts that I can afford.

Last edited:
I'd go ryzen 3000 over 2000 for sure. Board will be fine for stock use. Power supply is fine too... at a high level, it looks good!

Just to clarify the 3500 are 6 core/6 thread parts, the 3600 is a 6 core/12 thread part.

I'd go ryzen 3000 over 2000 for sure. Board will be fine for stock use. Power supply is fine too... at a high level, it looks good!

should I go 32gb of RAM?
how about my GPU?
regarding the PSU, will I be having problems with the power pins for the components?
:confused:

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just to clarify the 3500 are 6 core/6 thread parts, the 3600 is a 6 core/12 thread part.

yes Thats why i edited my post.. and changed it to 3600... not with the "x" because i noticed that it doesnt really show any big difference but only the price of 3600x to 3600

Ahh, you missed an edit, hence the confusion:
I just noticed that the 3500x has only 6 cores and 6 threads but the 2600x has 6cores but 12 threads.

Except for some uncommon situations (heavily modified games, DCS World) 16GB is more than enough.

The GPU will be fine, really what you want is a situation where the GPU is not constrained by CPU performance. If you want better gaming performance than upgrade the GPU, but there will be no decrease in performance by pairing the 1060 with the new platform. There may be an increase in performance in some circumstances.

For the PSU, on page 42 of the English manual it specifies that the 8 pin EPS 12v connector is required while the 4 pin EPS 12v connector is optional. It is a good question because while I seriously doubt the ability of any AM4 CPU to exceed the specifications of a single 8 pin connector (edit with ambient cooling), some boards may have a BIOS programmed to only allow operation if all of the connectors are plugged in. The Silverstone PSU listed here which I am guessing is the same model (the name is slightly different and I don't want to make assumptions based on regional configurations) has a single 8 pin (aka 4+4 pin) EPS 12v connector. It will work with this motherboard.

I assume you face pricing and availability challenges which make it more difficult to utilize a newer PSU. For GPU upgrades, there is only a single 8 pin (aka 6+2 pin) VGA power connector. While currently this would allow you to even run a RTX2080, it will restrict you from running some of the highest end parts (2080 Super, 2080Ti, Vega 64, and possibly others). This will probably be just fine but I wanted to make sure that you are aware.

If your motherboard is not up to overclocking then I would recommend the 3600x over the 3600. It is true that when overclocked the 3000 is pretty much the equal of the 3600x but at stock there is significant difference. So I would refer you to ED's input in post #2, "Board will be fine for stock use."

Ahh, you missed an edit, hence the confusion:

Except for some uncommon situations (heavily modified games, DCS World) 16GB is more than enough.

The GPU will be fine, really what you want is a situation where the GPU is not constrained by CPU performance. If you want better gaming performance than upgrade the GPU, but there will be no decrease in performance by pairing the 1060 with the new platform. There may be an increase in performance in some circumstances.

For the PSU, on page 42 of the English manual it specifies that the 8 pin EPS 12v connector is required while the 4 pin EPS 12v connector is optional. It is a good question because while I seriously doubt the ability of any AM4 CPU to exceed the specifications of a single 8 pin connector (edit with ambient cooling), some boards may have a BIOS programmed to only allow operation if all of the connectors are plugged in. The Silverstone PSU listed here which I am guessing is the same model (the name is slightly different and I don't want to make assumptions based on regional configurations) has a single 8 pin (aka 4+4 pin) EPS 12v connector. It will work with this motherboard.

I assume you face pricing and availability challenges which make it more difficult to utilize a newer PSU. For GPU upgrades, there is only a single 8 pin (aka 6+2 pin) VGA power connector. While currently this would allow you to even run a RTX2080, it will restrict you from running some of the highest end parts (2080 Super, 2080Ti, Vega 64, and possibly others). This will probably be just fine but I wanted to make sure that you are aware.

Thank you for the reply sir :salute: This info really helps.
I just wanted to know if the PSU that I am planning on getting was the right one for the board and for the vid card that I have.
And you gave me an answer... really thankful for it.
about the vid card.. well yeah its not really concern for me in buying a new one because the 1060 that I have still run so well.

If your motherboard is not up to overclocking then I would recommend the 3600x over the 3600. It is true that when overclocked the 3000 is pretty much the equal of the 3600x but at stock there is significant difference. So I would refer you to ED's input in post #2, "Board will be fine for stock use."

Thank you for this info. :thup:
Well at first I was planning just to use the stock of 3600... cause I had problems in finding the Asus Prime Pro.. the only available is the Asus Prime P... and they are so different.

Do you have something in mind, that you can suggest? A board that can go par with 3600 stock or overclocking it.. would really also appreciate it if you could suggest so I can check the price. (about the budget on mobo, maybe a bit in rage of the asus prime )

should I go 32gb of RAM?
how about my GPU?
regarding the PSU, will I be having problems with the power pins for the components?
32GB of RAM is your choice, not ours. If you are close to using 16GB, then yes, get 32GB, otherwise, stick with 16GB.

The PSU is fine. Connectors haven't changed... it is a standard how these connect. So long as they have the necessary PCIe connectors for your GPU, everything else is standardized really as Zer went over.

32GB of RAM is your choice, not ours. If you are close to using 16GB, then yes, get 32GB, otherwise, stick with 16GB.

The PSU is fine. Connectors haven't changed... it is a standard how these connect. So long as they have the necessary PCIe connectors for your GPU, everything else is standardized really as Zer went over.

any comments with the MOBO that I am planning?

It will obviously be OK for stock operation, and should be just fine for overclocking.

So your saying that this mobo is a bit ok for minor overclocking the 3600...? im a bit confused because of what the reply of Trents

I'm sure it will be fine on stock. You will also be able to overclock. How far, depends on the cooling and perhaps the board. The thing is with Ryzen 3000 series there are two ways to overclock it...

1. All cores and threads - this is beneficial if you frequently utilize (not use) all cores and threads. You will sacrifice a couple of cores boosting a couple hundred MHz higher this way.

2. PBO overclocking. You will gain a couple of cores going faster than stock and method 1 but the all-core boost may not reach the same clock rate as method 1, but it will still be faster than stock.

The board should be able to handle PBO without issue. LIkely all core overclocking too... just depends on case airflow etc. I think the board will be OK.

I'm sure it will be fine on stock. You will also be able to overclock. How far, depends on the cooling and perhaps the board. The thing is with Ryzen 3000 series there are two ways to overclock it...

1. All cores and threads - this is beneficial if you frequently utilize (not use) all cores and threads. You will sacrifice a couple of cores boosting a couple hundred MHz higher this way.

2. PBO overclocking. You will gain a couple of cores going faster than stock and method 1 but the all-core boost may not reach the same clock rate as method 1, but it will still be faster than stock.

The board should be able to handle PBO without issue. LIkely all core overclocking too... just depends on case airflow etc. I think the board will be OK.

ok, thanks for this info. :thup:
I will be updating you guys when I got something again to ask.

Ok im back agian,
Guys do you have idea how much wattage do I neet to get for this build...for the UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)...
Still having diffuclty buying the things cause of the corona crisis.

I dont know if this site is somehow accurate with their calculation.. although its newegg..
https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

@my post above:
Regarding my chosen PSU--- SilverStone SST, Strider Essential 700w
Is it more than enough or I can go more below the wattage?... with the current build plan that I have. with Ryzen 5 3600

Last edited:
Definitely over. You can check this calculator here https://outervision.com/b/WPjMSk. I would suggest going a bit over in case you decide you want a more powerful GPU down the line. Also for the UPS make sure you add your monitor and re-calculate.

Definitely over. You can check this calculator here https://outervision.com/b/WPjMSk. I would suggest going a bit over in case you decide you want a more powerful GPU down the line. Also for the UPS make sure you add your monitor and re-calculate.

Definitely over?.. meaning is it to much? or enough? or I can go lower with the PSU :confused:
I will just be probably using the stock and not overlock it at the moment.
I am just using a standard 24" Samsung Monitor.

The calculator is suggesting a 500W PSU, 450W really is fine. UPS recommendation is 800VA with a 24" LCD display.

Just make sure the PSU has the required connectors.

Do you have frequent interruptions in your electrical service, flickering of lights, etc. ? Even a robust UPS would only give you a few minutes of power, enough to properly shut the system down if a power outage would occur. But it would be great for covering situations where there is electrical system instability such as you see when lights flicker but there isn't a full power outage.

The calculator is suggesting a 500W PSU, 450W really is fine. UPS recommendation is 800VA with a 24" LCD display.

Just make sure the PSU has the required connectors.

ok.. maybe ill go with 600watts if I can see a good one.

Do you have frequent interruptions in your electrical service, flickering of lights, etc. ? Even a robust UPS would only give you a few minutes of power, enough to properly shut the system down if a power outage would occur. But it would be great for covering situations where there is electrical system instability such as you see when lights flicker but there isn't a full power outage.

Yes, we have frequent interruptions.. :(

Back