• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD k6/2 650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
k6-2's were only available up to 550 and the K6-3's upto 450...either he's full of it or its a typo

The mults were unlocked on K6-2s, so he could have clocked it to 650. K6-2s were wound pretty tight (I had one 533 that wouldn't do 550 stably...lol!), so this is a dubious overclock, if any at all. I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw a bull by his tail. Was he selling it as a CPU/MoBo combo, as to maintain an overclock, or was it just CPU and he's just thoroughly misled?

that's one hell of a crap, imagine a k6-2 @650, obviously it's o/c'd, it would be like crash here, crash there, IMHO, it wouldn't be worth it. juts get a duron instead.

Whoa the old socket 7 K6-2 chips had muiltpliers? I neva knew that, i thought that it didn't matter what it was sold at, just that the 300 on the chip was only a suggestion i thought everything was controled by the jumpers on the board. Say all the talk about the stepping on the Athlons does ne one know the best steppings and worse stepping on the K6-2s?

650 is possible but I'm not optomistic. My 450 does 560 so a 550 could do 684mhz based on the same % overclock in theory. It'd have to be a board/chip combo to maintain that kind of overclock. If so then I assume the price for both board and chip would be at least 90% of the cost of a Duron and board. I would pass on it in favor of the Duron.

Tebore said:
Whoa the old socket 7 K6-2 chips had muiltpliers? I neva knew that, i thought that it didn't matter what it was sold at, just that the 300 on the chip was only a suggestion i thought everything was controled by the jumpers on the board. Say all the talk about the stepping on the Athlons does ne one know the best steppings and worse stepping on the K6-2s?

All chips have multipliers its just that some are locked and others are not. My K6-2 stepping is CTX and I'm over the average overclock by a good amount. Read the chip databases for the various speed K6's, most of the info there is trustworthy and will give a good idea on the best stepping.

K6-2's and 3's translate a clock setting of 2.0 into 6.0, that'll get you to 600mhz, also some boards will do more than 100mhz fsb, my MSI 5184 can go as high as 133mhz. As a result, this winter I hope to get my system to 800mhz using nothing but isa cards on the bus and the Canadian climate for cooling. Not that it will stay on my balcony for ever, I just want to see if it can be done.

Back